Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Zilch Day Problems

I'm thinking maybe I should keep track of Zilch Days and Zilch Days Due To Injury.

It might encourage me to get out more.

I don't really need the encouragement, though.

I don't think Zilch Days will eclipse Running Days but at the rate I'm going currently, seeing more Zilch Days than Hiking Days would be in effect and that would definitely make me wanna get out hiking more.

Of course there are times when Injury Rest is a must... which is sort of today.

Shin still has minor pain. Rest more and more? Or keep running to allow the leg muscles/tissues to get used to 19-20 minutes?

Also, and this is neat, I picked up some poisonous oils from something on the trail and its affecting the whole back of my left hand. Right now in one area I'm picking up a lot of branches and moving them and in another area I'm pulling a few thin, growing-very-tall weeds where they're just plain annoying. So in my contact with all that, one of them, which was not poison oak or poison ivy, is poisonous enough to affect me. Now, I cannot make a fist without tremendous effort and the fingers feel tight when doing so and almost painful. From my wrist down to most of each finger is covered with a layer of pink calamine lotion. I pretty much can't use the hand. Luckily the best position for my fingers is bent like they're around a tennis ball so the tips can hit the keys of the keyboard okay. Trying to tie my shoes -- not easy.

I've had this problem once before. Like two years ago and down here in South Carolina is exactly where it happened when visiting my dad. Same trail.

I'm not surprised. Not angry. Just an inconvenience. An itchy inconvenience.

So, yay, another Zilch Day Due To Injury. Joy.

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated