Sunday, May 27, 2007

Pushin' Forward (But Not Back!)

A few minutes before hittin' the trail yesterday, I turned my ankle runnin' to see where the heck my dog went since he got through an open gate. He didn't get far, I knew he wouldn't drift any significant distance from this house, not at his age. But in my scurrying I turned my ankle enough to know I did some very minor damage. My run went fine but after getting home it was hurting. Alright, I suppose I'm an idiot for running but I didn't think it was that bad.

Got out again this evening for another good run. Smooth as silk... the run itself was. Coming back was something else. Why no pain during the run but pain hiking back? The ankle that I turned hurt and another problem popped up on the other leg, with my right shin. I guess it's just a case of shin splints. But why now? In all my running I have only felt this pain very minorly and only one single time a couple months ago or so. Now it's bad enough to probably make me rest tomorrow and not just rest but try to stay off my feet as much as possible. This bites.

Trail Time -- 83 minutes

Running Time -- 19 minutes & 12 seconds
....(up 12 from yesterday)

tunes...

Louis Armstrong

Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)
Sweethearts On Parade
White Christmas



(1990)




Wooden Jesus
Four Walled World
Times Of Trouble
Reach Down
Say Hello 2 Heaven
Call Me A Dog
Your Savior
Pushin' Forward Back
All Night Thing
Hunger Strike

Quite simply one of the best albums ever! I said the following after listening to Carlos Santana not too long ago -- this album really puts into perspective the contrast between mediocre music that I listen to and the really good stuff. Right now my desire to try other music is so strong that it could be awhile before I narrow my list down to selections that I know I'm gonna dig. When that happens, this'll make the cut, it should go without saying... and then like the NCAA basketball playoffs going from 65 teams to 32 then to the Sweet 16 to the Elite and then the Final Four, Temple of the Dog's gonna keep making that cut down to what could theoretically be a list of Top 100 Albums... but there's a long way to go before that happens. In the meantime it'll be more sampling and more listening to stuff I know I like, like this one. Chris Cornell and Eddie Vedder shine on these songs. Mike McCready's guitar work is often sounding very much like that heard on Pearl Jam's Ten which was released less than a year after Temple of the Dog. One of my favorite aspects of the music here is it doesn't have very much of a metal sound. This is pure grunge, maybe to my ears, about halfway between loud and fast Soundgarden and mellow Pearl Jam. Just darn good music!

2 comments:

Sam said...

This selection is not like your usuals, but I now respect your musical tastes more than ever. Temple of the Dog was a tribute album to Andrew Wood, the lead singer of Mother Love Bone. After his death two of the remaining members formed Pearl Jam. Wood was also Chris Cornell's, of Soundgarden fame, roommate. The emotion of his death lead to an unparalled energy of music and lyrics that has never been repeated. And the fact that two of the powerhouses of the grunge movement were behind it makes it even better. What a great album! I'm right with you on saying this is one of the greatest of all time.

Zoooma said...

My taste in music, and I don't know how this ever came to be, is all over the place.

I could go from '65 Dylan to Prince to Zeppelin to Siouxsie & The Banshees to Dean Martin to Garth Brooks to Rebecca St. James.

I'm weird like that.

(Aside from the Grateful Dead) Temple of the Dog is more towards the core of that sound I really like the most.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated