Wednesday, May 9, 2007

NO FOB TAPERS!!!

Twas an unbelievably short hike this evening. I suppose some people spend more time walking around a mall, eh? But when you've got a trail essentially right out your front door, tis best to use it even if just for around an hour! I mean, that hour coulda been spent like so many others spend an hour -- sittin' around doin' nothin' and how wrong is that?!

Trail Time -- 1 hour & 5 minutes

music...

State Symphony Orchestra
of St. Petersburg (Russia)
conductor: Andrei Anikhanov

Sleeping Beauty, Op. 66:
Introduction, Entracte, Valse


John Coltrane
2 songs from the 1957 album
Dakar



Cat Walk, Dakar

Temple University, Philadelphia
(unknown venue)

Casey Jones, Mama Tried, Hard To Handle,
China Cat Sunflower -» I Know You Rider,
New Speedway Boogie
I'm expanding my horizons. That should be quite evident by the incredible list of artists I've listened to since February. But today included some Coltrane and before that some Tchaikovsky, part of a ballet, Sleeping Beauty. Now, wasn't that a Disney feature length cartoon? Is it possibly on Broadway right now? I'm not sure. I had no idea that any of it would be familiar to me but the 3rd part, the Valse, has become a true classic of classical music 'cause I've certainly heard that here or there before, several times. Terrific stuff!

Sort of a fascinating Dead listen, too. At only 27½ minutes, this is only part of the show that took place at Temple on a Saturday afternoon 37 years ago. Deadbase doesn't even have the setlist, just three songs listed. Apparently this Audience tape surfaced not too long ago... I'm not sure how long, coulda been 8 years ago, coulda been 3 or so. In any case, it's sort of a great little recording.

The first song on the tape cuts in, people around the mics chatter a little but not much, and the vocals are somewhat distant... but Jerry's guitar is so up front and every time he got going so did the huge smile on my face! A crowd highlight was some East Coast-accented yahoo yelling, "Hey Garcia, play Alligatah." Typical, I suppose, but I guess it was his tone that was funny. [Think about it. Now laugh along. There you go. Good.] There was also a bit of crowd/Bobby interaction before the last song on the tape, something hard to hear, maybe having to do with the dude in the audience being a taper and Bobby pointing him out or somethin'. I'll have to investigate but at this point in the timeline of the Dead I don't believe taping was allowed, at least not up front like this guy was. Then during New Speedway, clearly on the recording we can hear some British-accented dude saying the following: "I want the tape. Turn over the tape. I'm the manager of the band, I want the tape. I'll pay you for it but you're not keeping it. [garble... garble... some more music... garble garble] Turn it off. Turn it off," and then it cuts off and what there is in existence of that Dead date in history, is history. Oh well.

Musically it's all good and there's nothing that really stands out but it's still very much worth every second!

*FOB = Front of Board (Soundboard) ... Tapers were welcomed to set up mics and recording device back aways but weren't welcomed up front right by the stage where this guy was.

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated