Monday, May 7, 2007

Best Run Ever (So Far?)

A different strategy for my run this evening -- I hiked out the first half and ran back (versus running first and then hiking back.) Why'd I do this? I'm not exactly sure. Perhaps I should do this more often (from now on?) 'cause I just had what I think is my best run ever! My previous run was my best run ever but truly only because of the music. This time, much to my surprise, during the last half minute or so, I turned on the speed. I've turned on speed at the end of a run before... but only ever so slightly, what probably couldn't even be detected with the human eye. Today -- wwwhoooaa (sounds like Joey Lawrence on Blossom. Yeah that kind of wwwhoooaa.) Anyway... when I sped up this evening I stayed up and it most definitely was noticeable! Felt INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!! It might have only been for the last 30 seconds or so of an 18 or so minute run... but what an accomplishment! Look out, Kenyans, I'm gonna be settin' some marathon world records in no time! (yeah... whatever.)

Trail Time -- 71 minutes

Running Time -- 18 minutes & 12 seconds (up 11 from last time)

tunes...

2 songs from the 1974 album:

Oscar Peterson & Dizzy Gillespie

Caravan
Dizzy Atmosphere




Mindy Smith

One Moment More

(her debut album from 2004)



It's Amazing
Down In Flames
Angel Doves
Train Song
Fighting For It All
Hurricane
Falling
Hard To Know
One Moment More
Jolene
Raggedy Ann
Come To Jesus


Another girl from Long Island! But she sings country? Well, yeah, kinda sorta, mostly but not really all the way Loretta Lynn twang and steel geeetar.

CMT is now a horrible version of what it used to be by nearly completely doing away with music videos (almost like but not as extreme as that stoopid mtv.) But back in the final days of giving viewers the chance to see videos at almost any time o' the day, one of the songs from her debut was a video that I remember, well, at least I remembered that I saw it when I heard the song -- Come To Jesus -- a little while ago.

That song was released as a single (or else it wouldn't have been a video) and it's just one of so many great songs on this album. Ms. Smith might have grown up on Lawng Eyelind, New Yawwk but she's got country in her veins since moving to Nashville. Because of when the move occured (early 90's I think I read,) she's not all country but more kind of stuck in the middle of Martina McBride-Alison Kraus-ish Nashville country and being a singer-songwriter a ala Sarah McLachlan-ish (only not Canadian, thank goodness!) On top of a wonderful voice, she wrote (or co-wrote?) (with the exception of the Dolly Parton hit Jolene) each and every song on this album. That right there sets her apart from sooooo many others.

Just a very good album and I hope she goes on to have the success she hopes for, success beyond what she has already accomplished. I'm definitely lookin' forward to listening to this and other music from her again!

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated