Friday, May 18, 2007

More Lawng Eyelind...

Lately, at times, I've had a minor twinge in my left hamstring but for some physiological reason I never feel any level of pain or discomfort when running. Same thing this evening. Hit the trail and all was good. Back for a little while now and all is still good. I feel great!!!

Trail Time: 72 minutes

Running Time -- 18 minutes & 52 seconds (+19 seconds!!!)



Jerry Garcia Band ~ 2/29/80
Calderone Concert Hall
Hempstead, Long Island, NY

(early show)
Mission In The Rain,
They Love Each Other, Let It Rock,
That's What Love Will Make You Do,
Knockin' On Heaven's Door -» Deal

Gerry?

image from www.psilo.com

It seems that great tunes always makes a run easier. At least so far. Tonight's selection for my listening pleasure again filled my ears with sweet, sweet music while my legs were seemingly carried along as if floating down the trail without any problem whatsoever.

Throughout the History of the Dead and Jerry Garcia's bands, etc, this is the only show to have taken place on February 29th. Jerry was around and playing for some 30 years but this added day to the calendar only happened 7 times in all that time. Somehow inbetween GD and Jerry shows, 2/29 was only played this one time (and then once again in 2000 by Bobby's Ratdog.)

Actually, this date had two JGB shows. Rather than two sets for this night, they, I guess, ushered everyone out of the theater at the end of this 55 minutes of music and then allowed a whole new set of ticketholders in a little while later for another show. Listening to the two shows together makes sense especially since no songs were repeated... but for running purposes, this one show fit perfectly.

The quality is not the greatest. It's an average sounding Audience recording but isn't terrible and is easy enough to enjoy. The show itself is short... too short in my opinion. To sort of borrow from an extremely overused phrase -- it's not always size that matters. Short shows can certainly smoke. This one may not smoke but it's alright. I love these Jerry reggae-ish Knockin's and then the intensity surely picks up at the end with Deal but there's nothing particularly mindblowing. Overall it's a nice almost hour of music from Jerry in early '80. Good stuff.

3 comments:

Terry said...

"Inspiration, move me brightly!" Now I can't get it out of my head! Thanks for the links to the various good causes. Save Darfur is the one I'm focusing on now. Cannot believe that horror exists as we fill up our gas tanks, charge our cell phones, and go about our daily lives!

Sam said...

Great music choice today. I agree with you that certain tunes can make the miles just melt away. I'm going to take today's selections and give em a listen!

Wil said...

Are you stretching your hamstring before hitting the trail, either running or hiking? Sounds like a pulled hamstring is waiting in the wings and it is gonna get you when you least expect it.

Even a bad day at a Dead concert is better than a good day at the office...

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated