Sunday, July 8, 2007

Live Earth notes part deux




Watched the whole end plus highlights
for another couple hours.
Some more personal notes...

Genesis -- yawn.
AFI -- disgusting.
Lenny Kravitz in Rio -- way cool!
Metallica doing Enter Sandman -- blitzed the stadium!
Black-Eyed Peas -- never before gave them even a minute of my time but they weren't bad.
Alicia Keys -- yowza!!!!
Kelly Clarkson -- eh.
Beastie Boys -- missed 'em.
Kanye West -- despise him, did not watch.
Melissa Etheridge -- turned her off.
Red Hot Chili Peppers -- total L.A. funky cool!!!!
Foo Fighters -- slight edge over Chili Peppers.
Madonna playing guitar(?!) on Ray of Light -- Surprisingly cool. I've never seen her play guitar before. She looks great.

Bon Jovi -- tis a mystery how they have remained so popular for so long. I can remember getting their Slippery When Wet tape way way back... saw 'em at the closing ceremonies of the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake and they rocked. They've actually gotten better since then! Part of the reason they brought down the house at Giants Stadium is 'cause they're from Jersey and man, probably ain't more Bon Jovi fans anywhere else. They coulda closed the show if it wasn't for The Police.

Smashing Pumpkins -- Holy freakin' cow. They destroyed. Made an earlier band, The Fallout Boys, look like the Fallout Little Girls. Monster sound even if without original members D'arcy and Iha. Holy crap. Corgan didn't have to pimp their new album but still they were the best of the night!! And to the new bassist, Ginger Reyes -- will you marry me?!?!?!?????

Roger Waters -- might as well listen to the CDs. Excellent stuff, he looks great, he was having fun, it's great music, bringing the kids from Trenton, NJ on stage was totally cool... but it just wasn't Pink Floyd which could have had such a commanding presence.

The Police -- whoa. First time I have heard them live aside from that CD they issued of an old show. Whoa! Freakin' blew away every great studio version of their tremendously loved songs. Right now they qualify as one of The Coolest Rock n Roll Bands In Existence... along with The Rolling Stones and U2. A-freakin'-mazing. And they don't have a half dozen extra musicians up on stage giving them a fuller sound, just these three guys. Stewart Copeland looked like he was gonna have a stroke only 'cause he was wailin' away on them drums and Andy Summers can still wail on guitar, and Sting... well, he's gone from soft rock wuss back to totally cool again. Only complaint is that Kanye person kinda ruined Message In A Bottle. Too bad. Still a great, great set of music!!! They've got to record an album and tour more 'cause they are incredible. If this current tour is just a one time thing that would be too bad.

All in all a great day of music. Some stuff I didn't care for but a lot that was new and cool or old and cool and I just loved watching this! It's so not every day or even every week or even every month that I sit and watch music on TV but this was worth it! I'm ready for the DVD set so long as it's intensive and not some yada yada yada compilation.


3 comments:

Sam said...

Thanks for the review. I only got to see part of the show and it sounds like I missed the best acts.

Scott said...

Yeah, I agree with Sam.
Your post made me take a look at the streaming videos. Cool.

Zoooma said...

If I was a fan of YouTube I'd probably post up some of the stuff I like a lot... but nay, with old-fashioned dial-up internet, youtube's almost worthless so I'm not a fan. Then again, even if I had high speed internet, I still don't think I'd utilize the site.

But... for anyone who wants to watch Live Earth right now, I'm a guessin' it's all up there, from continent to continent, performer to performer, song to song.

Hmm... would take awhile to load but seeing the Foo Fighters again would be sweet. Ahhh, then again, watching on the computer monitor vs. a much bigger TV screen? Well, better than nothing for some people but I'll still wait for the DVD set someday.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated