Monday, July 16, 2007

Another 1 More... And An Ouch...


W
ay earlier today, right at dawn, I went for a short stroll through part of the neighborhood with my dog. I took my usual supervisory position while he did his own thing wandering freely about. At one point I stepped on a small stone, about the size of a pea. OUCH! Holy crap!! There was a momentary jolt of pain right at the point of fracture. The pain wasn't incredibly sharp nor was it burning like I have experienced with this injury... but it was there. My tibia hated me and I thought -- how can I possibly run yet? No way. How can I possibly hike yet? A hike presents many more opportunities to step an odd way on uneven ground potentially causing pain and even reinjury.


Last thing I need is a setback.

So while I know there can be pain from just one misstep, I've got to stay off my feet as much as possible meaning one more day...

No hike. No run. Not ready.

Zilch Day 34

Man, this bites.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you steped on a stone the size of a pea how did it it effect your tibia ,I would think your tarsals or metatarsals would hate you,unless of course youre an amputee and walking on your stump sans prosthesis....

Wil said...

OK, so now you know the doc wasn't kidding -- eight freaking weeks, minimum.

So continue maintaining upper body strength and doing your isometrics and non-impactive calisthenics (sit-ups, crunches, pull-ups) while waiting for the healing process. I suggest finding a cute blonde with a hot tub to increase the blood flow to the impacted area (as well as other areas farther north).

Zoooma said...

I have no idea how the pain from the small stone exactly physiologically happened...

the way that I stepped on the stone somehow put enough pressure between the ground and the site of the still healing fracture on my lower tibia causing pain. wasn't a horrible pain, like i said, but still, it jumped on the Pain-O-Meter way up there past the normal I've been at lately.

And i like the hot tub idea!

But listening and obeying doctors I'm not good at. Tore my medial collateral ligament on my left knee once (spained, I guess, not torn all the way to need surgery) and the doc said no skiing for 8-10 weeks and stay on crutches for the next 2 weeks. HA! I was skiing in 2 weeks and seemed to have been all better. of course, i was ten years younger...

Sam said...

You better ease up for a little longer, or that thru-hike will never happen. And that is sadder than anything.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated