Monday, May 5, 2008

Title This Post Yourself, I'm Too Distracted To

It's like, you know...

Wasn't there a TV show with that name, with Jennifer Grey post-nosejob? I could look it up but it doesn't really matter.

So there's this new movie opening I think this coming Friday, with Ashton Kutcher and Charlie's Angel what's-her-name....... oh, Cameron Diaz, called "What Happens In Vegas..."

Isn't that phrase a little old? At least they didn't include the "stays in Vegas" part. I think I got sick of that about minute 3 of it's existence. Vegas themselves have gotten sick of it 'cause those commercials aren't on TV anymore. Thank God! But why are they keeping the movie title as is? Oy. Is it oy or oi? Does it matter? I'll stop kvetching about it now. It's just that I'm feeling a bit loopy. Worked all night... sort of. An overnight shift when it's not Friday or Saturday can really give an EMT in Fairbanks a chance to catch up on episodes of Baywatch on DVD at the station. Hey, I didn't buy 'em, they're just there... and I wasn't even the one who popped one into the player. When there isn't a call to go out on, usually I just watch cable news and/or ESPN all night. I've tried reading but I hate getting interrupted before a spot within or at the end of a chapter when I'd normally pause my reading. Less annoying is getting interrupted as CJ and Baywatch Hasselhoff are yet again rescuing people in the ocean. Ahh the joy of getting paid to indulge in a little mindless entertainment.

Unfortunately, when it's a slow night for calls, when less people need medical care, the night is longer, longer, lonnnnger than when it's one call after another always staying busy. 12 hours? Really, was that all it was? Felt like 20, thank you.

But when 9 a.m. rolls around and the new team is ready to take over for my partner and I, I always seem to have this burst of energy, a second wind, I become wide awake and I'm good to go... at least for a little while.... at least for a run which is what I did after work about an hour and a half ago. Had my change of clothes with me, my mp3 player with playlist ready, I changed and headed on over to the University.

Good deal, got that done... now.... I can sleep. Well, at some point during the day I will catch some Zzzzzz's and then be awake probably all night. That's the way it is when I'm on the schedule to work a week of overnights. Sleep during the day, awake all night, 36 hours off, sleep during the day, awake and working all night.

Yup. Better than Monday-Friday at the office everyday from 9 to 5. That might be good for some people but I like to mix it up -- couple weeks of night shifts, couple weeks of day shifts. Variety!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!my trail's impossibly muddy
for running... so still indoors.
Monday After Work Run: 20 minutes 2 sec+6 sec
XXXXXXXX++++++· 59:50 sec ·++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time April:3 hours 51 minutes<-failed to pass March SMILEY THUMBS DOWN
March:3 hours57 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes

Third run in four days. Nice. My time increases remain steady and small but today I reached a milestone, of sorts -- 20 minutes. I'm so not a runner which makes this measly little amount of time okay, in a way. Could I add on more, like 10 or 12 or 15 seconds each time and do just fine? Maybe. Does it matter that I'm not doing that? Not really. I'm doing fine because, and I can say this until the end of the world, the running that I do is better than no exercise at all!!!

30 minutes here I come!!!!!? Eventually. For now, for the most part, I'm liking where I'm at.

PHONOGRAPHRunning tunes came
from the album of the day...
Nickelback - The Long Road [CD cover] (2003)Nickelback

The Long Road

2003

Flat On The Floor
Do This Anymore
Someday
Believe It Or Not
Feelin' Way Too Damn Good
Because Of You
Figured You Out
Should've Listened
Throw Yourself Away
Another Hole In The Head
See You At The Show
Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
Yanking Out My Heart
Learn The Hard Way

A few days ago my horizons were expanded yet again when I pressed play for the very first time on Nickelback. I gather that they've been a fairly popular band over the past few years. The number of songs that I've heard by them -- oh, around zero give or take 1 at most. What to expect I wasn't exactly sure. Their music is categorized mainly as post-grunge. Okay. Beforehand I didn't necessarily know that, so I was a little surprised by the heavy guitar sound throughout pretty much every song. This isn't my favorite kind of music, I'd probably completely not enjoy seeing a live show of theirs (just a guess) but every now and then I can go for a loud album like this... especially for running!!

A couple songs are kinda odd here -- a cover of Elton John's Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) and one about... well, about a girl who has a baby in the bathroom at her prom. I'm not a fan of Elton John so hearing one of his songs here I wasn't exactly thrilled about. And here are some of the lyrics for the other tune:

Baby's born on the bathroom floor
The mother prays that it'll never cry
And nothing's wrong you got your prom dress on
When they ask you say it isn't mine

Why the hell don't you throw yourself away

Wow. Apparently this song was written about a real event in New Jersey about a decade ago... I had looked it up but on the news at the moment is the (cyclone) tragedy in Myanmar and that's has definitely taken top priority...

In any case -- far from my favorite music but it's not a bad loud album.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ Baixe Música Completas 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE

from some small town called Hanna
east of Calgary, Alberta... Nickelback with "Someday"


2 comments:

Sugarmag said...

That is great that you ran 3 times in the last 4 days! I'll bet it feels good. I feel your pain with the job where you don't have anything to do. Years ago I worked in a wine store and on Monday nights it was so slow and I was so bored that I would dust to give myself something to do. No I don't enjoy cleaning, I was that bored. Maybe you can get something good to watch from Netflix? Like Battlestar Galactica (my current fave) or Lost or Six Feet Under. The thing about your job, though is that if no one calls, no one is hurt or dead, which is good. If I had your job, I would be scared every time I got a call, not knowing what to expect. I am very glad for emergency workers, they are so kind. I hope you got some sleep! Take care.

Zoooma said...

Heya Sugar Mag! Thanks :)

3 runs in 4 days has taken a small toll on me but not too bad. Quads are fine, body's fine, but my butt appears to be draggin' today... a little more tired than normal... or maybe it's just that it's time for me to go to sleep before work tonight?!

I haven't seen Six Feet Under or Battlestar Galactica... I remember the old one but haven't checked out the new version which is actually on the DVD shelf at the station. On a quiet night I might have to check it out. Lost I'd dig. I watched the first season on TV but I missed an ep of the 2nd season and that was it... I missed a whole 44 minutes of the story, how could I go on?!? One day I wouldn't mind seeing how the whole thing turns out.

And yeah, when there are no calls -- no one is hurt or sick or worse. Always a good thing!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated