Sunday, May 25, 2008

Christmas is Right Around The Corner!

Is a lazy and completely unproductive day an okay day?
I used to not think so.

I was gonna go flying as I'd really like to get a few hours in every month... but I don't have my own plane and plans fell through. BEAUTIFUL weather today, it would have been incredible up there. Ahh well.

Watched some baseball on TV. That's relaxing.

Picked up and stacked the wood that I chopped the other day. Okay, so that counts as getting something done.

Took a nice stroll up the road with my dogger, about 20-30 minutes so he could stretch his legs more than normal. In the yard he's got plenty of room to walk around as he pleases... but it's the old familiar yard -- yawn, he says. So when he gets a chance to go elsewhere, to sniff other stuff where he doesn't often go, you can see that eager excitement light him up even more than usual. His old legs won't allow me to take him hiking with me anymore... he once was such an amazing hiking dog... but a kind of short stroll on the trail or up the road, half hour or less, he digs that just fine. Probably helps keep him young and seemingly healthy. That arthritis limits him but he's still got life left!

After that excursion, I napped... on a beautiful sunny Sunday afternoon I napped. Had to catch up on my Zzzzzz's. Had to. Woke up later and the day was gone... no it wasn't, I mean not with the light in the sky all night long!

With work tomorrow I was definitely not goin out indulging in adult beverages tonight so there was just one thing to do...

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!51°, 10:20 p.m., a little chilly but gorgeous!
Sunday Night Run: 20 minutes 53 seconds+8 sec
XXXXXXXX+++++++++ ·02 sec· +++++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time May:4 hours4 minutesSMILEY SUNNY
April:3 hours51 minutes<-failed to pass March SMILEY THUMBS DOWN
March:3 hours57 minutes

Splendid run. Just.... peachy.

And just barely short sleeve weather. We're clearly in Spring but it's not so warm yet. That's a good thing, no, a great thing as it means less energy gets sucked out of me by the heat in the air. With a lower temperature, more energy! (Love the way that works!)

From the moment I walked out my front door, BOOM I was ready to go. Still had to walk a couple minutes to the trail and stretch but probably I could have set out running but I take my time, stretching is a friend of mine STAN SMILEY

I knew tonight's outing would push me up over 4 hours. Like usual I just wanted to make sure all systems are operating okay and that I can achieve my set goal. During the run itself, that 4 hour mark for May hadn't crossed my mind. Now, showered, resting -- pretty sweet is what I'm thinkin. Pretty sweet! I ran a marathon this month! Well, it took me like a dozen separate runs but if you remove all the time in between each run, it should be a marathon! Nice.

Question is -- do I rest and not care if I only have one more run in May? Or keep it going? 6 more days left... we'll see.

Right now I'm satisfied and looking forward to an even better June!
poinsetta pinecones
anibellAlbum of the day...
only 7 more shopping months left!!
December 25th's gonna be here in no time!!!
Jerry Jeff Walker - Christmas Gonzo Style (1994) [CD cover]Jerry Jeff Walker

Christmas Gonzo Style


1994
320
kbps
Jerry Jeff Walker - Christmas Gonzo Style (1994) [CD]
Jerry Jeff Walker
Christmas Gonzo Style
Jerry Jeff Walker - Christmas Gonzo Style (1994)

Click the Play PLAY BUTTON Button
to enjoy a listen (192 kbps)
Jerry Jeff Walker - I'll Be Home For Christmas PLAY BUTTONI'll Be Home For Christmas
Jerry Jeff Walker - White Christmas PLAY BUTTONI'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas
Jerry Jeff Walker - Santa Claus Is Coming To Town PLAY BUTTONSanta Claus Is Coming To Town
Jerry Jeff Walker - Xmas Song Chestnuts Roasting PLAY BUTTONThe Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting...)
Jerry Jeff Walker - Here Comes Santa Claus PLAY BUTTONHere Comes Santa Claus/Up On The Housetop
Jerry Jeff Walker - Rudolph Red Nosed Reindeer PLAY BUTTONRudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer
Jerry Jeff Walker - Jingle Bells PLAY BUTTONJingle Bells
Jerry Jeff Walker - Winter Wonderland PLAY BUTTONWalking In A Winter Wonderland
Jerry Jeff Walker - Frosty The Snowman PLAY BUTTONFrosty The Snowman
Jerry Jeff Walker - Jingle Bell Rock PLAY BUTTONJingle Bell Rock
Jerry Jeff Walker - 12 Days of Xmas PLAY BUTTONThe Twelve Days Of Christmas
Jerry Jeff Walker - We Wish You A Merry Christmas PLAY BUTTONWe Wish You A Merry Christmas

There's something kind of odd about running to Christmas tunes, especially when it's not December. But I pulled it off today with this album.

Like so much that I've listened to over the past year and a half, I've never heard Jerry Jeff Walker before. I find it pretty interesting that he's a country music singer from where? Upstate (Oneonta) New York?! Okay. I wonder if that played into him not being successful when it comes to commercial radio-play. In a way, that makes his music more appealing to me.

I read that he's called what he does "cowjazz" and that's apparent here on a least a few of these songs. Santa Claus Is Coming To Town is a perfect example. Country music? Not even close! Winter Wonderland is about the same -- it's got some pedal steel but tinged with jazzy piano. I'll Be Home For Christmas and Jingle Bells are in that territory as well.

Rudolph is not a song that can get me excited but there's an interesting take on it here. It's got kids. Kids and Christmas music? No big deal. Well, they're like 12 or 13 sounding maybe and they're not exactly singing... you've just got to hear it, it's funny, kinda like they're making fun of the song. Pretty cool.

White Christmas is nice. Lloyd Maines on pedal steel makes it oh so perfect. And The Christmas Song -- purely Christmas.

Not a very country sounding collection. A few songs feel like Texas but all the way through it doesn't make me wish for them Wide Open Spaces and horses at Christmastime.
Still not a bad album.

Jerry Jeff Walker - Christmas Gonzo Style (1994) [rear]

animated Christmas Tree 6

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard Jerry Jeff Walker before

Jerry Jeff Walker wrote Mr. Bojangles.

Sugarmag said...

Chris! You did it! I knew you would, I am so proud of you!!!! That is awesome!

Cowjazz, huh? Cool. Dog walking and napping and watching baseball sounds like a good day.

Zoooma said...

Heya Bob, I didn't know that but yup, there it's written in his Allmusic entry.

And no, Deadman, I've never heard that... I'm sure many a northern cop has said that to a southern-accented stranger in a land above the Mason-Dixon Line, just before the stranger got a swift nightstick blow to the kidneys. God Bless the police!!!

(sarcasm)

Christmas Cowjazz in this case, Sugar Mag. And thanks :) I dig and appreciate having someone cheer me on with my running. You just might help me really reach for a marathon one of these days. Ya know... hmmm, that's the only reason I keep increasing and keeping track of my time, otherwise I'd just not even worry about it. So in the back of my mind, marathon is what I'm thinking... I would just LOVE to be able to raise money for a charity in that way!

Anonymous said...

Groooooooooovy. The country music outlaw's outlaw. Thanks.

Zoooma said...

Yeahhhh. I dig country, even Nashville radio-made country, but the independent artists and those who haven't always lived to please their producer, definitely a lot more welcome in my ears and I should make it a point to listen to (and post up) more Jerry Jeff and others like him.

Thanks for the comment.

Zoooma said...

P.S. Enjoy!!!!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated