Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Story, Morning Glory, is Rain & Running

Strangest thing, at least to me, I don't know if I can type and concentrate at the same time I listen to music. But wait... with the Dead and writing a show review I can... but just having music on and wanting to put something on the page that makes sense... feels like it's not impossible but more difficult. I can often multi-task just fine but music I don't like as a background, I like to listen to it without doing anything else.

Anyway... most of the day it's been overcast with a light rain. With nothing special to do outside, I like this weather. Wouldn't want it all the time... but why not sometimes? No sunshine, kinda chilly, drizzly rain almost constantly -- who exactly has declared that it's "bad" weather today? Is that an official ruling? Sure, it's bad if you wanna have a picnic but farmers would say this is lovely. Nothing wrong with it.

Except after my shift was done (about an hour ago) I wanted to go for a run. The rain meant... well, I probably coulda run outside but for some reason my mind decided on staying dry so after changing, instead of walking out the door and to the end of the road and getting on the trail, I got in my truck and drove to the University to run at the Rec Center, indoors.

They were closed. Summer Hours has them locking up an hour earlier. Swell (they could have sent me a personal note or something! Sheesh!)

So on to the gym on the other side of town. When I made sure the gym pass was in my glove box, a thought occurred to be -- man, am I thankful I have these free passes from work. I suppose I would encourage others to shell out for a gym membership to get exercise in... but me actually buying one? I can't say I wouldn't but it take some real arm twisting... so I'm really glad we've got these passes from work!

And so that's my amazing exciting night so far. Worked all day before this... it's Saturday night but I'm not going out, just gonna stay in, relax, and think of actual topics that will be a post that's actually substantive rather than just this garbage. Not that this is garbage, I mean, well... it's not anything that means much to a lot of people but, eh, whatever.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!INDOORS due to rain.
Saturday Nite After-Work Run: 20 min 45 sec+10 sec
XXXXXXXX+++++++++ ·09 sec· +++++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time May:3 hours43 minutes
April:3 hours51 minutes<-failed to pass March SMILEY THUMBS DOWN
March:3 hours57 minutes

About 3 days, I think, since my last run. I've been taking like forever to go from 20 to 21 minutes so... for tonight I worked on a playlist that would add at least 8 seconds and I came up with 10. Super fantastic, huh?! Yeah, I think so, too. My legs seem to be functioning at 100%... well, that would have been the case had I not gone hiking last night. But I went hiking last night, 2nd time this year, a few miles worth of hiking, and with hillage involved. Hillage. An out and back, mostly flat terrain hike of that length would have been CAKE, cake I say. Last night was more work than that. A lot more work. Ten seconds added might not have ultimately made any difference in my running today but if my playlist not been made a couple days ago ahead of time, I would've added only a few seconds due to that hike last night. But I was bound to ten.

So... today, my legs, while not sore, they weren't 100% and I thought that was going to make my run more work than I would have liked. But... I was unexpectedly running indoors again because of the weather. While the gym is like 15 degrees warmer than the 57° outside, for some reason, compared to the outdoor trail made naturally from the Earth, indoors I seemed to be floating on air. I started my run expecting difficulty but the result was rather (somewhat) easy. Doesn't mean I'm switching back to the gym. Hell no. Raining and Extreme Cold Only. But it went okay.

As far as running and hiking living happily together, I'm hoping I can get a hike or two in a week and that'll get my legs conditioned for such activity. Last summer, because of my dang stoopid fractured leg, I didn't do any good hiking until Fall and that was brief and not like yesterday. And since this central Alaska, hiking season starts reaaaaaaaaally late 'round here. Geez... whatever, quit complaining, suck it up, git 'er done!
Hiking's one thing, running's another and tonight I got 'er done.

Hopefully only one more run before I'm at 21 minutes and also only one more run needed to eclipse my April Run Time. Sweeeeeet. (I hope I didn't miscalculate! Even if I did not add up May correctly, I'm probably just 20 minutes off and still I've run plenty which is a LOT more exercise than if I didn't run at all! But I'm not sure why I would have miscalculated. No reason to suspect I did. Beats me.)


PHONOGRAPHRunning tunes came
from the album of the day...
Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory? [CD cover] (1995)Oasis

(What's The Story)
Morning Glory?


1995

Hello
Roll With It
Wonderwall
Don't Look Back In Anger
Hey Now!
Untitled (aka "The Swamp Song - Excerpt 1")
Some Might Say
Cast No Shadow
She's Electric
Morning Glory
Untitled (aka "The Swamp Song - Excerpt 2")
Champagne Supernova

Britpop at some of its best ever... according to many. It's not bad. An ex-girlfriend a ton o' years ago had this in her truck (a Deadhead who drove a Chevy Z-71 extended cab pick-up... whew, that thing could haul ass!) and she listened to it like every week. Irritating at the time but she swore it was great music. Great is left to each individual listener, isn't it? It was alright then. Now it's... maybe close to great. I'm not going goo-goo ga-ga over it but it worked beautifully for running and I could almost see myself playing this again someday. A few songs are just excellent -- Wonderwall (of course) and Champagne Supernova. Not too much here that I don't think stinks... overall a good, solid collection of songs.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ Walldill 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE

Video Time
Oasis : "Wonderwall"

1 comment:

Sugarmag said...

Hey Chris! That's awesome that running is going so well! I haven't told you this before but reading about your running has been sort of inspiring for me. I was working on exercising more anyway, but reading about your progress has given me a boost.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated