Friday, May 16, 2008

A Poor Run

It was one of those days, I tell ya what. What does that mean? It means it was one of those days... duh. Come on, this isn't Space Shuttle maintenance.

Actually, "those" when referring to work refers, in my mind, to a day that had way too much happening and now I wanna drown in beer to forget it all.

Started out fine, it did. Quiet even. At work I was actually able to have some time on the internet to get to some email and this and that. Only 1 call all morning and into the early afternoon. And then it got... crazy, messy, making me want to call it a career... time to move onto something else. With confidentiality required in the medical field, I can hardly go into anything but the bottom damn line is people in America are required to have a license to cut hair... but anyone can pop out kids... and beat them and then get so wasted they do something so insane that it endangers the children's lives to about the 5,000th degree?!? Good God, I have so little hope for humanity sometimes... why don't people have brains?!?!?!?!?!

Call on top of call; I was in the ambulance about half the rest of the day and night until my shift ended at 9. My uniform pants today are waiting for their fate to be decided -- probably just gonna burn 'em.

Thankfully not everyday as an EMT in central Alaska is like this. Not even close. A rarity indeed so I've gotta have the comfort that, okay, it's just one day, there'll be more but they're few and far between.

First step in shaking it all off was I got my planned run in right after my shift was over. That little bit of running, at this point in time, helped me refocus... now to finish this and decide on heading out to engage in a pitcher or two with friends... surely that'll be in full swing but I'd better wrap this up so's I can make a call or two as I do not wanna be driving tonight!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!about 53-55° or so, not bad out there
Friday Night After Work Run: 20 minutes 25 sec+3 sec
XXXXXXXX+++++++++ ·20 sec· +++++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time May:2 hours41 minutes
April:3 hours51 minutes<-failed to pass March SMILEY THUMBS DOWN
March:3 hours57 minutes

3 days since my last run. 3+ days actually. Almost 3½ days. Okay. I had to rest my quads for a spell there. It was a great string of fairly easy runs before this so... so okay. My pace for May has been acceptable and even with 3½ days off, tonight's run makes 8 in 16 days. Lookin' good.

As far as my legs... eh, not bad. They've been getting better and less achy but not back to normal yet; I suspect they will be soon enough. Because of that, I chose a playlist that added only 3 seconds again. And a thought just occurred to me -- I'm not a wimp. I don't mind risk. I don't mind going for it... whatever it may be. So why'm I being so cautious with the amount of time I add onto my runs?!?!? I do not know.

Anyway... I felt the slight aching as I walked to the end of the road where I get on the trail... but I was eager to start running as soon as I walked out my front door. First half of the run went just fine. 'Round about the middle of my 20 minutes, I started to feel my legs weaken but I battled... a thousand times, it seems, I told myself -- Mind Off The Thoughts Of Quitting, Mind On The Music! ... over and over. But it got to the point where music didn't matter, as I had to keep telling myself to Not Quit, Not Quit, Not Quit. Whew. Not easy there for awhile but I made it to my end cue. I labored on the 30 minute walk back up the trail, to the road, and straight into the shower. But I made it.

I'm about 30 minutes after that right now and... my energy is back, my legs feel achy but strong... I want to go out but all I wanna do is rest! Ugh, this decision is a killer one to make. In any case, whichever I decide, I know I had a better run than my last one. I had NO idea I'd have to readjust from indoor track to outdoor trail but it's getting better!

PHONOGRAPHRunning tunes came
from the album of the day...
The Poor - Who Cares [CD cover] (1994)The Poor

Who Cares

1994

Poison
Dirty Money
Tell Someone Who Cares
More Wine Waiter Please
Ain't On The Chain
Downtown
Hair Of The Dog
Liar
Ride
Only The Night

Sometimes there's music that before I acquire it I have no real idea exactly what it'll sound like. That can be kinda dangerous and this was one of those times. The Poor is not my cup of tea. One way to describe 'em might be kinda like AC/DC with some Motley Crue influence, a lot of Van Halen a couple times, maybe even a little Soundgarden here or there. Overall, what's on this album leans towards knock-off AC/DC and I wasn't too thrilled. These guys probably rocked a lot of pubs in Darwin, Northern Territory in their day... a lot of people Down Under dig them and that's cool... it's not bad music... just didn't do much for me.

For running the album worked just fine. I listened to it once to set up a running playlist, then again during my run, and again right now... but eh, it's not really growing on me. But once again I tried something new, and these tunes helped me with running, so for that I am thankful.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ Ausrock 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE

VJ time!
Not actually a video...
(I don't know why people do this on YouTube, a place for VIDEOS)
but a song from the album.

2 comments:

Sugarmag said...

Hey Chris,

Awesome that you ran again, I am so glad that you are feeling better. I hope you went out with friends, that sounds nice. Mmmm...good beer.

Zoooma said...

Hiya Sugar Mag!

It's so weird, that feels like a week ago but was just Friday night, huh? I ended up staying in to (further) decompress without company and without alcohol. Running was a good Part 1 to that. Sometimes it's good to hang out with friends, shoot some pool, put some quarters in the jukebox, enjoy some yummy Guinness... other times the better way after a crappy night is to just relax without doing hardly anything at all.

Anyway, thanks once again for all your comments 'round here :) Each one is welcomed and appreciated!

See ya!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated