Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Never done this before...

Normally, in months past, I'd have gone for a run right after work. Shift's over at 9 p.m.-> change clothes-> to the gym or the University, either one for their indoor track.

Yesterday, man, I was beat... but as soon as my shift was through, I still had it on my mind to get a run in as soon as I got back to my house to change. Good weather, eager to get that bit of exercise in, been a couple days, legs feeling like new again after getting used to this different running surface (outdoor trail vs. indoor track) ... but apparently it was sleep that I needed.

I was so ready to change and head out the door... laid my head down for 2 freakin' minutes and that turned into like 4 and a half hours. Zoinks! So I blew it...

or did I? After a dream of leading a Mexican futbol team of zombie E.T.'s to victory against the Smurfs at Iwo Jima (or something like that, I can never remember my dreams,) I snapped awake just like that (imagine snapping your fingers real quickly and loudly. Try it. Good, yes, like that.) Awake I was... at 1:45 o'damn clock in the morning. A feeling erupted of being quite pissed off at myself... but a glance out the window confirmed that the idea I instantaneously had is an idea I should set into motion -- I was still going to go for a run!

Why not? It was close to 2 a.m. but it was not dark. The sun wasn't exactly up... or all the way down, but there was light in the sky. Yah, mon, if there was a 7-eleven here, or a Dunkin Donuts, I could've driven on down without my headlights on to grab me a Slurpee® or a Boston Creme (or 3.) Mmmm mmm... but we don't have either of those establishments here which is probably a good thing because I could eat Dunkin D morning, noon, and night and not even care. Me and food...... just a bad combo when all I wanna do is keep eating when something's soooooo darn good.

ANYWAY... light in the sky there was (and still is an hour later now,) enough to see where you're walking without needing a flashlight... so I ran, I ran so far awaaaa-ay-ay. I just raaaa-aaa-an, I ran all night and daaaaaa-ay-ay. Or something like that...

First time I have ever gone for a run After Midnight.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!Low 50's and another beautiful nite (morning) for a run!
Tues Nite/Wed After Midnight Run: 20 min 35 sec+6 sec
XXXXXXXX+++++++++ ·24 sec· +++++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time May:3 hours22 minutes
April:3 hours51 minutes<-failed to pass March SMILEY THUMBS DOWN
March:3 hours57 minutes

Well, I've already chronicled everything leading up to my run... that was interesting. I could've been on the trail for like 50 minutes -- 20 minute run out, 30 minute walk back -- but instead I hit a wide grassy clearing on the trail and turned around to run most of the way back. Was only outside from 1:50 until 2:20 -- just about a half hour. The whole time the sky had just enough light to allow me to see the ground sufficiently, every rock, every dip, every incline, never missed a one... had to pay much closer attention than normal, but no problem.

A quick shower and here I am. When I woke up earlier I was alive with energy. I'm not sore or anything now but I'm feeling good..... and a bit tired, probably because I wasn't well-rested for my run. I'm in that limbo region of thinking I could stay awake for awhile, thinking I oughta sleep now for awhile. My mind and body can't seem to come together on a decision. Ahhh well -- I ran, that's what counts!!!

PHONOGRAPHRunning tunes came
from the album of the day...
Galaxie 500 - On Fire [CD cover] (1989)Galaxie 500

On Fire

1989

[1997 re-release]

Blue Thunder
Tell Me
Snowstorm
Strange
When Will You Come Home
Decomposing Trees
Another Day
Leave The Planet
Plastic Bird
Isn't It A Pity
Victory Garden
Ceremony
Cold Night


Listening to this band for the first time in my life (about a week ago) was... sort of a let down. What kind of music is this? It's alternative rock, yes, I knew that. What sub-genres? Dream Pop, Slowcore, Indie Pop, Shoegaze, College Rock and Lo-fi Psychedelia. What the heck is "shoegaze"? I didn't even know.

Creating a playlist for running with all these tunes was not easy because there's nothing here with a fast pace. A tune with over 65 beats per minute just ain't on here. What does that mean? All kinda mellow. When running I like to finish off with 3 to 4 minutes of something on the fast side. Not here. I did my best, though.

First couple listens several days ago, I wasn't too impressed with this critically acclaimed (in the UK) album. Again, like with so much music -- it's good but it just didn't do much for me. However, I listened again on my run and it's playing right now and I must say that I'm beginning to really dig the genius in a lot of these songs. Reminds me somewhat of a Charlatans UK album I used to play sometimes during late night drives... that's what this is, great late night driving music when you're awake but you just wanna chill to something kinda mellow.

I thought I'd maybe never give this another listen but it's on the fence... maybe I will someday.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ Rock On 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE

Video Time!
"When Will You Come Home"
which just happens to be, I think, the best song on here.

6 comments:

Sugarmag said...

Oh Chris, even if you slept the full eight hours your body and mind need, that's not blowing it. You know I'm cheering you on, but give yourself a break. I worry about you and your crazy hours sometimes.

That is very cool that you had a good run,though. Running in the middle of the night like that sounds surreal in a weird and fun way. I hope you got some more sleep.

You know what I like best about Dunkin' Donuts? I like choosing my donut in the store. I like looking at all those rows of donuts, all that pink and sweetness. I also like the way the place smells. Coffee and sugar and yeast. I like yeast donuts best.

Zoooma said...

It was a tired run, Sugar Mag... but God, I love a challenge! I'll catch up on my sleep today, right after the football match!

If I was trying to run for like an hour after waking up like I did, I mighta passed out while running, fallen flat on my face, and then woken up as a bear's breakfast... but 20½ minutes was doable. I don't go to the gym and work out, my running's my main exercise... and it's addicting...

so I really, really, really, really wanted a Tuesday run to keep up my pace. When I fell asleep, I blew it 'cause when I woke up it was Wednesday ... just barely but still... so I had to try to make that right as soon as possible! It was very weird running at 2 in the morning. Talk about doing something almost no one on Earth does!!! Wow, I'm special!!!!! LOL...

Now, about that last paragraph of yours...... [shaking my head] ..... not nice. Like you were taunting me!!! I didn't take you to be a WITCH!! Horrible person. Horrible horrible person!!!!

...


.....


........ just kidding :) Your description is heavenly because I LOVE Dunkin Donuts but the closest one is like 2,100 miles away :( (I actually figured out the mileage once or twice.) Krispy Kreme's alright but there isn't even one of those here, either. It's for the best, though... except next time I see a Dunkin Donuts I'll probably spend like 20 bucks and eat it all within like half a day... or less!!!

Talk to ya later, Sugar Mag :)

Sugarmag said...

Oh sorry, I did not mean it that way. You just got me thinking about donuts.

Sugarmag said...

oh, I didn't see the last part there, I don't like Krispy Kreme so much, either. I don't know why so many people like 'em so much. I like Dunkin' Donuts better.

Zoooma said...

Personally, from what I remember, the hot Krispy Kremes like right off the... off the thing... ohhhhhhhh sooooooo good! They're so light and fluffy and mmmmmm!

I don't mind Krispy Kreme, but Dunkin's just got a better selection, I think. It was also part of growing up for me, never the other.

I'd pick DD every time!

P.S. sorry to trip you up there and make you think I was made at you. I was just kidding!

Sugarmag said...

I didn't think that :)

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated