Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Tuesday Night Tunes...


It's been a different couple of months with all these music posts pretty much standing all on their own. That's not how this blog dealie started. Back in May and April and March, most all of my music listened to was related to a run or a hike. Hopefully it's gonna revert back to that very very very soon. What does that mean for anyone reading about the music I listen to? Means one'll have to weed through my run/hike info. Not always but a lot and usually not a lot of it. Unless I change and do separate posts. But why? I dunno except to keep it all segregated. That's generally thought of as negative but there wouldn't be anything negative about segregation in this case.

In any case, here's my brief musical interlude for this Tuesday evening, well, okay, night, I guess evening's technically over...



Evanescence

self-titled debut EP

1998






Where Will You Go (Evanescence LP version)
Solitude
Imaginary (Evanescence LP version)
Exodus
So Close
Understanding (Evanescence LP version)
The End (Outro)

It's been like two or three years since I last heard that one song of theirs that got a lot of radio play awhile back. It was pretty freakin' cool Evanescence song it just so happens it has been the one and only song I've heard from this band. But hey, like so many, I decided to give their other music a try. What cool stuff! Me likey, me likey.

Apparently for this little 1998 debut, a Grand Total of only 100 CDs were made available, all of them given out at a single show in the band's hometown of Little Rock. That alone kind of blows me away -- a band from Little Rock, Arkansas. Hmm. They're not from NY or L.A. or even Portland or Seattle... Little Rock, Arkansas. Wow. Not a musical hotbed for any genre.

Anyway... nothing is overly blisteringly loud & rockin' all the way through. Often, especially on Imaginary and Exodus, piano leads the way or emerges through the electricity at just the right time. Solitude is a mellow tune while most of the rest has these great peaks and valleys, often seemingly with layers of synthesizer and guitar. Throughout it all Amy Lee's voice is so hauntingly beautiful.

In my mind, personally, I'm left with a feeling that this is PERFECT music for driving down a cold and lonely interstate highway between about 1 and 4:30 in the morning. December, 2 a.m., 20°F (-7
°C), through the middle of nowhere down I-90 in North Dakota, on a stretch of road where you might not see a single other vehicle for five or ten minutes at a time. No lighted billboards, no glowing in the night 24-hr gas station/truck stop signs. Basically nothingness. You're not sleepy so you don't need anything loud enough to wake the cows... just something with a mellow feel to it, and you become mesmorized by the passing passing passing passing right and lefthand side reflectors as well as the broken line dividing your lane from the empty one next to you. Through the cold night onward for hundreds of miles to music that might invite vampires from out of nowhere to descend upon, ripping the roof away, to bite into your neck... yeah... that's exactly what this first Evanescence EP is all about! Well, not really but if I was driving under all those circumstances and all of a sudden Kiefer Sutherland and his crew descended upon me to suck my blood, I wouldn't be surprised!

Find a dload --> over yonder this a way here

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated