Friday, August 17, 2007

Bizarrest Movie I've Ever Seen...



Forbidden Zone

1980

What a freaky movie. I'm not really into cult classics and that's what this apparently has become. Directed by Richard Elfman, older brother of Danny Elfman, lead singer of Oingo Boingo and film scorer extraordinaire, the story involves an other dimension located in the home of the Hercules family. Rulers of that dimension are King Fausto (Hervé Villechaize) and Queen Doris. They're aided by a topless princess and a frog-man. Ohhhh-kay. Danny Elfman makes a late appearance as Satan.

As I sat watching this my jaw was seemingly in a continuous dropped position while I was in awe and wonderment at exactly what the heck I was seeing. Shot in black and white and utilizing crudely constructed backgrounds as well as some animation, this is no normal movie by any means whatsoever. Just the simple act of reflecting on the 75 minutes is confuzling me to no end.
Now, I can no longer in this life o' mine condone such an act, but from living the past life that I did, I can truly say that probably the best way to watch this little odd piece of celluloid would be, oh, while smokin' the Mary Jane and/or after dropping some acid. Shrooms will probably do, as well. Possibly, just maybe, in such a state, this movie will make sense.

A worst movie ever? I'm not sure. It is very creative but then again so was Star Wars and this is literally and figuratively a gazillion miles away from Star Wars. What this is is a film that is just sooooo freakin' bizarre. I'm not sure anyone is supposed to get anything from it but rather viewers are supposed to be left exactly as I am -- wondering if the past 90 minutes was either a dream or maybe I'm in Hell? I'd actually consider watching it again someday only to see if any sense can be made from it. But really if I'm truly somewhat a little bit into torturing myself, watching this for a second time just might be evidence of that... but maybe the movie really does have some value? I'm not sure.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

So... back in the day I watched this film, The Gods Must Be Crazy, Brazil, and Naked Lunch in the same weekend.

uhm... yeah.

much beer. Much more liquor.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated