Friday, September 28, 2007

One Heckuva Romantic Hike, I Tell Ya What

Short Hike
Total Trail Time -- 1 Hour & 31 Minutes

What a difference a big sleep can have. This hike was yesterday evening. Normally I post my hikes and runs within a few hours of getting back in the door. But this one, though short, wiped me out.

Twas a beautifully warm 50-ish degrees Fahrenheit (or about 10C for those who hate America) when I hit the trail. Shorts weather all the way! The only bad thing with this temp is a long sleeve shirt is completely wanted at the beginning... and then after warming up from movement I'm ready for a short sleeve. Ahh well.

Motorin' along at a fast pace, my boots were pounding the trail and that resulted in pounding my body. Man, I felt great out there. My overall distance was about a mere 5½-6 miles or so (around 9-9.5 km) and the last mile of that, I was mildly struggling. Very easily I could've walked for hours on end, but all I wanted was to collapse and be off my feet.

After getting in the door and cleaning up, I was fast asleep, passed out cold... I might as well've had a fifth of Jack, holy cow.

Getting outta bed today -- whoa, not easy. Creeky, almost, as in bones and joints and muscles all rusty and difficult to move. Oi! My hips hurt the most. After makin' coffee and movin' around a little, everything got better... 'cept for the hips which are still a little achy.

The very worst thing is the hike was only an hour and a half long. But the deal with the aches and pains is this -- when was my last hike? Over the past 3 months, how many times have I been out there? Last hike: well over a week ago. Last 3 months, just a handful of times on the trail.

My tibia, I am 99.9% certain, is 100% healed now. The whole time I was on trail, even during the last mile, I kept thinkin' -- tomorrow I'm doin' this again! Or tomorrow rather than hike, I'm gonna start running again, finally. Not sure that's goin' down today afterall due to my condition here, but maybe. Bottomline is -- while physically I don't feel like the 6 Million Dollar Man, mentally I'm Sittin' On Top of The World!


Some Trail Tunes...


The Romantics


self-titled debut

1980






When I Look In Your Eyes
Tell It To Carrie
First In Line
Keep In Touch
Girl Next Door
What I Like About You
She's Got Everything
Till I See You Again
Hung On You
Little White Lies
Gimme One More Chance

This is a fun album. Almost everyone in the world not Amish or affiliated with the Taliban or brainwashed in some polygamist Mormon-like cult in Utah knows one song here, and knows it really well. I'm sure Rolling Stone or Billboard or somebody out there in the music industry has ranked What I Like About You as one of the most popular songs ever. It's currently featured in TV commercials for some car insurance company so I hear an ultra-condensed version of it just about everyday... and I'm sure it's been featured on other commercials in the past many years, as well. Yeah, yeah, that's all well and good but what else is there on this album? A bunch of pretty cool power pop early 80's rock 'n' roll, that's what. None of this music is outstanding by any measure. It feels like The Romantics are a great Detroit bar band who happened to just barely sneak inside that elusive realm of commercial success. But it's fun. Do ya really need any other reason to listen to something?

320 kbps dload right here
The Romantics




For the record, also on my hike...
I gave another listen to Eddie Vedder's Into The Wild soundtrack. There is no better hiking in Alaska music than that. It's perfect!! That album is incredible and has quickly skyrocketed to the top of my non-existent list of Favorite Non-Dead Albums Of All Time.

1 comment:

Kwizgiver said...

I love that soundtrack, too!

And I completely agree with your assessment of The Romantics album. (album... they will always be albums to me)

:-)

Congratulations on the hike.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated