Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Ahhh, relief

Every now and then I watch a single movie that makes it okay to watch so much that's so terrible.

The Station Agent (2003)

starring: Peter Dinklage, Bobby Cannavale,
Patricia Clarkson, Michelle Williams, Passaic County (NJ)

What happens when a man leaves Hoboken hoping to find somewhere a little quieter? His life becomes more complicated. Fin is left, in his friend's will, an old run-down train station in rural Newfoundland, New Jersey (about 30 miles west of Hoboken and New York City.) What Fin finds there is a host of characters who are longing for company and/or who have their own problems to deal with. This guy who just wants some peace and quiet, to be left alone, must learn to deal with all of these new people and what they bring to his life. There are no special effects, no plot twists to figure out, no explosive situation to deal with. What's presented is just life.


It's been about a couple years since I first (and last) saw this wonderful film. What a treat it was to watch it again. The Station Agent is not without flaws but it's chockfull o' superb acting and such terrific directing, almost spot on from start to finish. For some reason the characters and their lives completely draw me in and in the end I was left with tears.

Having grown up in northern New Jersey, and having periodic longings to move back there one of these days, the scenery had me captivated. Breathtaking it is not. The Alaska Range or the Rockies? Not quite. Not even close. Yet somehow the Passaic County hillsides and Lake Hopatcong left me in awe.

New Jersey is not a pit of hell as many think. The state is full of beautiful places, quiet and green, not a refinery in sight (or smell.) Every state has peaceful places of stunning beauty, one just has to know where to go to find them.
Alaska is Heaven on Earth . . . or at least a huge slice of Heaven of the United States. But my connection to NJ runs deep and I will stick up for my beloved New Jersey anytime someone wants to put her down. Maybe one day I'll get back to enjoy all there is to really love, all I never appreciated when I grew up there. I hope so. And until that time I can always read a book or turn on a great movie like The Station Agent.

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated