Monday, April 27, 2009

Running Here & Now (Well, Earlier.)

Pic o' the day:

Estadio Azteca (Aztec Stadium) in Mexico City -- come on Pepsi!!!  Get on the ball here!  Look at all that advertising... for people in planes or blimps???

an empty Estadio Azteca in Ciudad de México

Severely over-populated Mexico City's got like 18 million people but they can't even fill the 5th largest stadium in the world for a soccer game... excuse me, I mean a futbol match? There's a match going on in the picture! 105,000 capacity, 0 fans. Actually, it's because of something we're all going to die of within a few days, some Pig Flu or something. Beats me. I'm immune. I'm God.

Hmmm... if I was God, I suppose I wouldn't have to exercise...


The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Monday late Morning Run: 25 minutes 03 sec
+42 sec
.
3 Days Since My Last Run

11:15 a.m. - 76° - mostly sunny

Warm. But I wasn't tired. I was sick and tired of waiting around for fucking ever for a phone call so that didn't help. Other than that, I guess I had an okay run. No pains. No fatigue. Seems I always have thoughts of quitting my run but they weren't too bad. The worst thing was the warmth of the near mid-day sun overhead. I hate when sweat drips onto my sunglasses. Worse is that, while I had no significant fatigue, the heat did drain me of extra energy. I finished okay but twasn't very pleasant at the end and as I began my walk home from the trail. After a shower I'm feelin' drained but not bad. The fact that I added a bunch of time onto my last Run Time, that's good. I'm back up (finally) to over 25 minutes. On my way to 30. Now if Sugarmag would only join me in my running this much, or at least separately exercising this much, that would be sweet!

One more run in April. I'm not going to match February but at least I have passed March (which sucked.) New goal for May.... hmmm..... well, to beat April, that's the primary goal. Hopefully, though, I can get to 4 hours again.
April :: +37 sec· X
7 runs in APRIL:
3 hours 03 min
6 runs in March:
2 hours 28 min
*** FEBRUARY ***
3 hours 41 min
January 2009
2 hours 54 min
December
2 hours 42 min
November:2 hours 31 min
October 2008:2 hours 10 min

**********IMPORTANT***PART**OF**THE**POST----SEPARATOR**BAR**********
PHONOGRAPH

Monday's Running Playlist
included most of this album...
Aurora Gory Alice (1993) (album cover)

Letters To Cleo

Aurora Gory Alice

1993
Big Star
I See
Rim Shak
Wasted
Get On With It
Here & Now
From Under The Dust
Mellie's Comin' Over
Come Around
Step Back
Twas a few years ago, 1994 to be exact, summer of, when I spent some time in the 'burbs of Chicago, one 'burb to be exact, Fox Lake to be exact, northwest of Chicago. The tiny little town, nestled amongst the Chain Of Lakes, is one of the last two or three stops on the commuter rail line than runs up to Genoa, Wisconsin (if I'm not mistaken.) (I was mistaken, it's Genoa City.)

Any-frickin'-way, that (part of) Spring & Summer I listened to a bunch of radio. It started out not by choice but because it was always on at the golf course where I was working. Well, I dug the tunes on Chicago's Q101 and found myself tuning in away from work, too. Q101 was playing all that was new and great within alternative music at the time. I actually used to tape the radio and then make a mix that I used when I went mountain biking. One of the songs on that mix: Here & Now from this debut album by Boston band Letters To Cleo. Such a kick-ass song that was, great for riding.
I never could understand half of what Kay Hanley was singing but it's a great, fast, loud song. That tape that I had it on got lost or eaten or whatever and it has been a good dozen years since I've heard that tune or any other by this band. I've always remembered them, not that song specifically, but the band name; maybe someday I'd get to check out their tunes. Well, someday's recently and these guys are pretty good. The rest of the album is something like an amalgamation of The Breeders, Sonic Youth, Belly and a good handful or two of others.

Apparently they'll be playing some more shows this spring. I guess they got back together last Fall/Winter but maybe now they'll be back for awhile. Not that I'm gonna see 'em or anything... cool none-the-less. I've always had an affinity for Boston bands, bein' a native New Englander and all.

mp3 download

"Here & Now" -- December 8, 2008
Paradise Rock Club, Boston, Massachusetts

2 comments:

Nazz Nomad said...

this is the solution to the economic crisis. it's captain trips! 30 percent of the population is gonna get taken out by this superflu.
c'mon down and meet yer maker!

Ron H. said...

Severely over-populated Mexico City's got like 18 million people but they can't even fill the 5th largest stadium in the world for a soccer game... excuse me, I mean a futbol match? There's a match going on in the picture! 105,000 capacity, 0 fans.

LOL, that's because they're all in the NYC subway! Good thing they're small or there'd be no room for us citizens! : )

Thanks again, Zoooma for all the music, info and entertainment! It's mucho appreciated-o......

Regards,
Ron H.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated