Wednesday, April 29, 2009

just a run

In the world of sports -- NY Mets suck. Lost again. Nice. Suck a little more? Worse than the Montreal Expos Washington Nationals yet?

NJ Devils, in Game 7 of the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, gave up 2 goals in the last 90 seconds of the game to lose to the Carolina Hurricanes. That was downright depressing. Devils are having quite a difficult time getting back to the Stanley Cup Final. Why do they so often bomb it in the first round?! Their freakin' website's already looking forward to next season. Got to wait a whole frickin' year for the playoffs again. Yay. Losers.

Well, it might not be football season but it's football season! UEFA Champions League -- Man U. v. Arsenal today on ESPN! I'm so glad European football is on TV here 'cause MLS is just plain pathetic. Silly Americans.

In political news -- nahh, I'd better no go there.

In health news -- exercise is important... so I went running...



The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Wednesday late morning Run: 25 min 35 sec
+32 sec
.
2 Days Since My Last Run

11:20 a.m. - 76° - mostly sunny

April's last run. Time and weather were both nearly identical to two days ago. Not nice out there. VERY nice for laying on the beach or in your backyard to soak up some sun and get some nice color goin'... but DISGUSTING for a run. I'm an idiot for not going earlier in the morning. Twas an almost crisp 54° around 8 in the a.m.... with no sun gleaming, very little sweat, and very little energy loss from heat, 'twoulda been so ideal, perfect short-sleeve running. Almost -- dew woulda made grassy/weedy parts of the trail wet and that woulda gotten my shoes plenty wet, but... but why'm I fantasizing about what woulda been?!

Not the best run but not a bad run. I did succeed in adding at least 30 seconds... which I didn't need to do because that was only to get me back up to 25 minutes. Eh, I forgot and added at least a half minute which I accomplished but not without some mildly horrendous internal complaining and that desire to just quit my run and eat donuts, what does it matter, get fat, be typically American. NO! It's good to beat those thoughts back and push forward, keep running, focus on music, just go. When I hit my End Cue, though -- stoppage, bent over, hands on knees, gasping for air. That, thankfully, didn't last long but when I resumed moving towards getting off the trail, I wasn't moving too quickly. Again I just wanted to sleep on the trail. But I made it back and while tired as all heck, I'm looking forward to my next run, my first in May.
April :: +12 sec· X
8 runs in APRIL:
3 hours 29 min
6 runs in March:
2 hours 28 min
*** FEBRUARY ***
3 hours 41 min
January 2009
2 hours 54 min
December
2 hours 42 min
November:2 hours 31 min
October 2008:2 hours 10 min

**********IMPORTANT***PART**OF**THE**POST----SEPARATOR**BAR**********
PHONOGRAPH

Wednesday's Running Playlist
included most of this album...
The Doors -- Strange Days (1967) (album cover) -- songs by Jim Morrison, Robby Krieger, Ray Manzarek, and John Densmore.

The Doors

Strange Days

1967
Strange Days
You're Lost Little Girl
Love Me Two Times
Unhappy Girl
Horse Latitudes
Moonlight Drive
People Are Strange
My Eyes Have Seen You
I Can't See Your Face In My Mind
When The Music's Over
The Doors -- Strange Days (1967) (album cover, backside)

Should I even type anything about this album? It's classic. I might dig their debut a little bit more but the two together make a great hour or so of listening. This is a band that needs more listening to by my ears. Thanks to The Lost Boys soundtrack with a version of People Are Strange by Echo & The Bunnymen, I may have heard the song a thousand or two times too many in this life. Also mega-overplayed are Love Me Two Times and When The Music's Over... but they're still good, especially when put on the shelf for two or three years. Take it out after such an absence and it's good again. Since it didn't have the same radioplay as those three aforementioned hits, the rest will always be welcomed. Twas great to listen to this today a whole bunch of times in the past few days.

mp3 download

due to a severe lack of live Doors videos from '67 on Youtube,
no video today.

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated