Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Tuesday Recipe-Fried Artichokes

Way back a long time ago I lived in Knoxville, TN, and one of my favorite restaurants there was this place called Sunspot. I liked lots of things on their menu, but one of my favorites was fried artichokes. That was many years ago, but I never forgot their artichokes and thought I would try it sometime. For whatever reason, last Friday was the day. Here's what I did:

1 can large artichokes hearts-quartered
flour
salt
pepper
olive oil
pasta (a handful of linguini because it was just for me but more people-more pasta-just eyeball it, it ain't rocket science. Lemon pepper pasta would be good but I didn't have any so I just used what I had)
a spoonful of capers
1 lemon
white wine (whatever you like-I used an inexpensive sauvignon blanc)
chicken or vegetable broth (optional)

So...Start boiling water for pasta. Cook pasta according to package directions. Quarter the artichokes and dredge in salted flour. Heat olive oil in a large skillet (on the high side if medium) and pan fry artichokes. Yum! Remove artichokes to a plate with a paper towel. The pour some wine into hot skillet to deglaze. How much? I don't know, a cup? You can replace part of the wine with stock-that way you will have more wine to drink. Reduce liquid, add capers, use tongs to toss pasta in sauce, squeeze lemon juice over pasta. Serve pasta with artichokes on top. Yum!

2 comments:

Zoooma said...

I've never been a fan of artichokes, Babe, but I'll be happy to try it out!

Anonymous said...

I salivated all over my computer. You should have put a warning before posting this recipe - which I intend to try this weekend. Thanks!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated