Monday, November 24, 2008

a pair of 11-24's

I figure if I do one of these about every week or so, I'll have to start repeating them in about 22 years.



"Two Crows From Tacos"

directed by: Friz Freleng

released: 11/24/1956




bear-strip-tophats

100 Days of the Dead -- Day #62
No download today. Sorry, kids.
A show each of the next many days (hopefully) so stay tuned!

In the meantime -- dig this!

"Sugaree" -- 11/24/78
Capitol Theater, Passaic, New Jersey


"The famous "Deadheads Only" show from the Capitol Theater in Passaic, NJ on 11/24/78. Right after this show, Jerry is admitted to the hospital with viral pneumonia, bronchitis and fever causing several shows afterwards to be cancelled. Like a trooper, Jerry smiles and trucks on despite being sick. A super-hot version of this Dead classic features shaky vocals from Garcia because of his illness but incredibly hot playing. Enjoy!"


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoooma. I remeber first getting this tape as a "recordist's choice, best of" the FM/King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast. Sugaree was the only highlight I had on that first copy, but the entire show is well worth seeking out. While it is not the 11/20 giant, it certainly will scratch that '78 itch. Adam

Zoooma said...

Adam! Hey now! I think I still have my tapes of this (11-24-78 Passaic.) It was one of the first shows I ever owned and later on I had a friend spin me an analog copy straight from DAT -- so crispy and I loved hooking people up with a DSBD-2 copy. I wanted to post it up yesterday, but not from my tapes... digital mp3 files! Maybe I will today but I might have something else in mind... I just don't know, I've got such a wide range of stuff lined up, what's next beats me! There's just TOO MUCH TO CHOOSE FROM!!!

frizzyeatworld said...

Good times, good times. lol

Timmy said...

I don't know which I enjoyed more, the 2 crows (I LOVE black birds) or the 2 sickys doing magic (refering to Jerry & Donna) Now see the entire mystery is unveiled unto me... Donna had Bronchitis & Pnumonia, her entire tenure w/ The Dead, that's why she sang so off. And, Jerry well, Jerry was & IS Jerry. Now, this footage, is it from an unreleased film? Hu?

Zoooma said...

Hey Timmy! That 11-24-78 Passaic show is a good one, with Hamza el Din joining Mickey and Billy and it's just really good despite the eternally pneumonia-ed Donna. Interesting you solved the mystery... now we all know!

As far as footage goes, it was filmed for "archival" purposes. What exactly they had in mind, I have no idea. I do believe it circulates but not far and wide and there might only be 3 songs on Youtube. Well, the whole thing could be there but only three songs labeled with 11-24-78.

I might have a way to get into your hands someday but not right now.

And hey, I'm glad ya dug the Merrie Melodies cartoon! I've seen hundreds of Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies but never Two Crows From Tacos. It's so funny!!!

Anonymous said...

Jerry Garcia is just like McCain's dream of being president, DEAD!

Zoooma said...

Nooooooooooooooooooo! Please say you're joking. I don't believe you. This can't be true. Jerry's not alive anymore? McCain's not president? Noooooooooooooo. :(

Well, thanks for coming around to break this news to me.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated