Thursday, January 10, 2008

Pre-work Run with Suzanne

I tried today exercise that I'm not used to. I went for a run. In the morning. Before work. Weird. Not really. But sort of. My runs seem to be like 90% in the evening to as late as 9 or 10 p.m. with maybe only 9% in the afternoon. That leaves 1% occurring before the noon o'clock hour which is what I just did a little while ago.

Interestingly, at least to me, the gym is quite busy at 8 in the morning compared to 9 at night. A little too crowded for my liking.
It takes me as long to get to the university and back to my house as the time I spend running... but just 'cause it was a little busier than normal, I wasn't about to turn around and leave. Stoopidly, on a day off from work yesterday when I had nothing stopping me from getting a run in, I was lazy and didn't. So sometime today was absolutely mandatory.

My 12-hour work day starts in just a few minutes and now that I've already run this morning, when my shift is over at 9 tonight, I can actually go out and enjoy a pint without thinking about changing and heading to the gym to get my much-needed exercise in.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Thursday's Run: 15 minutes 52 seconds(+12)
·indoors·
Run Time - January:1 hour 17 minutes

Not a bad run at all. Finally I will be out of 15:something minutes next time I lace up my running shoes. I have spent soooooo long in the 15 to 16 minute range, maybe way too long, maybe close to a dozen runs(?!), but at least I'm getting those runs accomplished. I'll keep on saying it -- better than nothing.

This morning no serious huffing and puffing when I hit my end cue. Kept moving in a slow walk increasing over a few minutes to a nice medium walk to the point where I felt really good. As usual, when I'm finally feelin' like everything's A-O.K., then I can go grab my towel, wipe up as much of the sweat on my head as possible, bundle up, go outside and get in my truck and head back to my house to clean up properly. It's the same old routine, for the most part. I don't especially like routine but this one has significant purpose to it and that's to try to keep as healthy as possible. This is one routine I don't mind so much.

Not sure if I'll do this in the morning again anytime soon but ya never know. Just so long as it gets done... and I've gotta increase my frequency! Ten days and 5 runs, I think? Not good enough!!!!

Running tunes from
the album of the day...27 sec


Suzanne Vega - self-titled debut (1985)Suzanne Vega

self-titled debut

1985







Cracking
Freeze Tag
Marlene On The Wall
Small Blue Thing
Straight Lines
Undertow
Some Journey
The Queen And The Soldier
Knight Moves
Neighbourhood Girls


About a decade ago I had a Suzanne Vega CD that I actually bought and liked. It's long gone but I thought I would give her a try once again. This debut from Suzanne really demonstrates her incredible ability to sing a story. These aren't just regular old songs, the lyrics here are brilliant, with great usage of poetry and metaphors to instill intensity in each tune. I'm a sucker for a female voice, always I prefer listening to a female artist, and Ms. Vega can really sing, that's for sure. It's no surprise that this Upper West Sider attended New York City's FAME-ous High School of Performing Arts; she's got talent and this first album is nicely done entrance in the world of "alternative folk," "adult alternative," and "college rock."

192 kbps dload @ MP3 Mix by Jensenbrazil

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated