Saturday, January 5, 2008

Footpool Run

Football fans in Fairbanks are an interesting bunch. I haven't gone around lately and taken a poll of where everyone's from, but with Seattle's NFL team the Seahawks playing in the playoffs today, it seemed like half of 'em are from Seattle.

After watchin' some of Rutgers in some meaningless college bowl game from Toronto, eh, I headed out into the snowy day only to stop at a bar where some friends/co-workers were watchin' the real men play football. Holy sheesh, there was a whole buffet set up just for the game, extra TVs brought in, I thought maybe this had actually become North Seattle.

More of the same at my friend Jim's house where I went for the 2nd Half. Jim's from some small podunk town in Puget Sound that probably to this day doesn't even have a stop light (my kind of town!) I think it was like 15 or 20 years ago, he said, something like that, when one day he was bored so he bought a ticket on the Alaska Marine Highway (ferry) and once he was in Alaska he never went back. Snowmachine (snowmobile) mechanic in the winter, wilderness guide in the summer, you'd never look at him and think he's a football fan but today was like a holiday for him and he threw a wing ding and a half, again, complete with buffet... and a keg plus extra TVs set up. And since he also has a pool table and there's no smoking inside his house (even though I used to smoke, I can't stand cigarette smoke in my general area, don't want 2nd hand smoke in my lungs, thank you,) that made for a much better atmosphere than at the bar. Not sure how many games of pool I played but the room where I was hangin' out! And along with no smoke, no need to keep feeding the table quarters in order to play like at the bar. While I'm no Seahawks fan, with them winning, that sure kicked things up a notch. What an interesting excuse to have a party.

That was my fun for the day. I had my mind set on run for the third day in a row and 8:30, a half hour before the gym closed, I hit the track. Maybe one of the best times to go to the gym, Saturday night? Place was dead!

Tonight I rest. This is a rare weekend for me: no work. I'm shiftless until Monday morning. Usually I pull a shift on Saturday or Sunday but the schedule had me off. Now, if I could just get the schedule to have me off, oh, about Tuesday through Sunday, that would be pretty sweet.


The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Saturday Run Time: 15 minutes 30 seconds(+10)
·indoors·
Run Time - January:45 minutes 55 seconds

Third day in a row, quad aches were much less, hips a little more, but still the run went okay. I'm not exactly doing anything productive to increase my running time to something of significance... but then again, running for 15½ minutes is better than not running at all. Just doesn't look like I'll get to run a marathon any time this century. Oh well. All I'm truly aiming for is good health... but to be able to run a marathon for charity, well, that would be great. In the event I never do, I'll do other things so it'll all balance out just fine and okily dokily dandy, yessirino.

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


By The Tree - World On Fire (2006)By The Tree

World On Fire

2006







All Around You
I Will Follow You
World On Fire
Perfect
You Are My Desire
Rain Down
Still Believe
How Beautiful You Are
Shine
Any Other Way
That's Why We Say


A pretty good rockin' album this is. There's almost no song here that could be called soft adult contemporary. Definitely music you'd wanna turn up and play LOUD rather than something to ease you to sleep. With much of Jeremy Camp's music and Casting Crowns and Red Umbrella and Switchfoot is who I'd put this in with. It's praise and worship but done without being preachy to people in the lyrics so it has the ability to reach beyond the Christian to anyone who likes good music with this sort of edgy "alternative" sound. A Review for this album (and many more) can be found at Jesus freak Hideout.

128 kbps dload @ Música Cristã

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated