Thursday, January 17, 2008

Heart Run

Such screwy weather. Wednesday-Wednesday night-this morning's snow was a dumping. Well, it wasn't more than a foot, maybe half a foot but twas the most in one snowfall this fall-winter so far. Walked outside this morning and I was about ready to go down to the Chena River and do some swimming! Of course it's frozen solid... but we got all the way up to 15° (-9 C) ... was like Springtime! And then we dipped into single digits below Zero (around -20 C) and now tonight we're back up to single digits above zero again. Back and forth. See? Screwy. When was it, three, four days ago, we were down in the neg 20's and 30's!

Having the day off today, I went for a hike this afternoon ... no, not exactly a hike, for some snowshoeing! My first time on the trail since -- Crickey! A long time! I could check when I was last out there but it would kind of depress me. It's been awhile.

I strapped on my showshoes and snowshoed on down to the end of the road and down the trail a ways. Wasn't out there long. If the temperature was in the teens or twenties (like -10
°C +) I'd definitely have stayed out for awhile. It was kinda freakin' frigid (or I didn't bundle up well enough) so only a few minutes down, a few minutes back. Fresh snow, too, no snowmobiles yet, no dog sled tracks. Very totally cool to be on the trail in the dead of winter after fresh snow. Can't wait to get back to acceptable temperatures for hiking and running outside again. Not there yet, not even close, bud. So I've gotta get my runs done inside and that's what I did a couple hours ago. Second day in a row and glory hallelujah to that!

Work tomorrow. I need a vacation! But what else is new?!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Thursday's Run: 16 minutes 27 seconds(+12)
·indoors·
Run Time - January:2 hours 6 minutes

Excellent run tonight. Another 12 seconds added for a total of 27 seconds added in two consecutive days. Hey, for me right now that's pretty good. I'll be hittin' 17 and 18 minutes before I know it. 20 will be a big achievement, kind of, sort of. For now I'll keep this up. Good for the heart, good for the lungs, good for the waistline, good for my overall general health. Plus it's makin' my legs pretty damn smokin' hot if I don't say so myself!

Back from the gym for about two hours now and I feel great! Ya know, I oughta lift some weights while I'm there. Thing is, I'd rather read than sculpt my biceps and chisel my pecks. Too many men are so damn vain, perhaps making up for something that's lacking in their life. Hey, whatever floats their boat. If they wanna lift and bulk up for no legitimate reason, they can. Me, I'll just get my runs in, just use the gym for that and I'm cool. And so that's what I'll keep doing and I'm already lookin' forward to my next run!

Running tunes from
the album of the day...9 secs


Heart - Passionworks (1983)Heart

Passionworks

1983





How Can I Refuse
Blue Guitar
Johnny Moon
Sleep Alone
Together Now
Allies
(Beat By) Jealousy
Love Mistake
Heavy Heart
Language Of Love
Ambush


WHAT A GREAT ALBUM! Just kidding. I'm not exactly sure what possessed me to listen to early 80's Heart. There was a time when I used to hear their earlier stuff on WNEW back in NY/NJ and occasionally on other classic rock stations. There was a time when I had their album "Bad Animals" -- not bad stuff from the mid-late 80's. But to explore this period from them? I don't think a single song on this album of their I have ever heard before. There are a few good tracks here like How Can I Refuse and Blue Guitar especially. Much of it is just, well, eh. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's bad... just eh. Four tracks equaling my Running Time did make for good music to run to... then again, if it's got a beat it's okay for running. Listening to this again just casually? Probably not.

Here's a "professional" "reviewer's" opinion at All Music Guide.

dload the album @ Just Good Tunes

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated