Wednesday, January 16, 2008

I Ran Therefore It Be Time For Guinness

Tis a Winter Wonderland of beautiful proportions outside. As the clouds thickened, the temperature actually got up just a bit above freezing. Around the noontime hour light snow began to fall. It's been coming down for almost 12 hours, covering the already (since October) snow-covered ground with a (yet another) brand new fresh layer. Everywhere in town the lights reflect off the ground and the falling white stuff and the cloud cover above creating a giant glowing oasis in the vast Alaskan wilderness. And there are people about enjoying this Wednesday evening. The absolute frigidness of 20 and 30 below always seems to keep as many residents inside. Those who have no crucial need to venture into the sub-Arctic hell that'll freeze spit in the air, they enjoy the warmth of the indoors. But when the temperature's this high in January, time to get out and stretch the legs, visit with friends and family, enjoy a pint at the pub.

Me, well I worked all day, 9 to 9, followed by run afterwards. With all the time I've spent cooped up inside lately, soon as I post this I'm out the door to grab my pint... or two. Maybe three. Not having to work again until Friday, tis time for me to enjoy a little indulgence, for it's not often that I partake but tonight I'm gonna sip me some Guinness and maybe shoot a little stick with whoever's out on this fine snowy and warm Wednesday night.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Wednesday's Run: 16 minutes 15 seconds(+15)
·indoors·
Run Time - January:1 hour 49 minutes

A fine run, mateyyyy! I'm not sure why I feel like sounding like a pirate right now but shiver me timbers, I Feel Great!

To go 5 days without a run does not make me happy. At all.

Bad Chris. Bad!

But finally I stepped foot on the track tonight, indoors at the gym, per the usual for this time o' the year. Changed clothes when my shift was over and headed straight there. Not a single problem whatsoever with my run. Kinda strange because I added a whole quarter of a minute this time and I haven't even done this in 5 days so I thought I'd have a little huffing and puffing at the end. Not really. Casually walked a lap, toweled off, and soon felt like I could probably put another two or three minutes in. No, no, I'll build to it. I'm in no rush.

So while my 16:15 is laughable to some, for me and for anyone, it's better than nothing!

Back in my house for about an hour now, all cleaned up, and feelin' excellent, yes sir, I tell ya what.

Running tunes from
the album of the day...42 sec


Desperation Band - Who You Are (2006)Desperation Band

Who You Are

recorded: 2005
released: 2006





Freedom Song
The Difference
Promises
Ready Now
Who You Are
Perfect One
Endlessly
Coming Back
Revolve
Live For You
Everything To God
Chasing
Refuse To Be Denied
Coming Back (Radio Mix)


Wow. This be some rockin' praise music! I'm not at all fond of mega-churches but the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, U.S.A. is where Desperation Band is from. With the exception of one studio track, this is all recorded live. The sound is tremendous that I just crank all the way up. There's hardly a slow song on here and the tunes aren't just played live like straight off the studio CD (not that there is one) -- some of 'em range into the 6 and 7 minute zone, making for some, just very cool listening. And unlike so many other great rockin' Christian albums where lyrics don't speak completely directly about Jesus, this album sure does. This isn't meant to reach the unchurched or the Godless. The lack of ambiguity is a sure sign that this is meant to light a fire in people IN church so that's why every song calls out His great and holy name. It does an amazing job at that, that's for sure. Check out a review, if you'd like, at Christian Music Today.

128 kbps dload @ Música Cristã MP3

2 comments:

joated said...

Love coming over here just to feel warm back here in PA. (Although today's temps here were probably colder than there. Go figure.)

Zoooma said...

I just typed up about our Thursday temps.

At sunrise we topped out at about 15.

Dipped a few below zero.

Back up tonight a few above zero.

Usually in winter, this general part of Alaska, the upper half, is colder than almost everywhere in the Lower 48. There are rare exceptions, of course, but not often.

We certainly have the ability to make a frigid 20 degree day in PA or New England or Minnesota or Montana seem rather luxurious compared to 0 or ten or 20 below!

Thanks for stoppin' by!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated