Monday, December 8, 2008

Run Twist Shout

I had to make a choice today -- post a Dead show or take care of my physical health and go for a run. I chose a run.

Rest assured, more tunes'll be posted soon. Within what I hope to close out the month with, I'm hoping there'll be something that'll please everyone.

And listen, if you've got a request, feel free to send an e-mail. Sugarmag and I will be happy to do what we can to get the tunes in your ears!

TIE-DYE SEPARATOR BAR
The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Monday afternoon Run: 21 minutes 58 seconds
+ 13 sec

3:45 p.m. -- 54°
X ·Oct :: +30 sec· X
November:2 hours 31 min
October:2 hours 10 min
September:3 hours 25 min
August:2 hours 39 min
July:2 hours 11 min
June:1 hour 47 min

I fought myself on whether or not I was going to run today. I had to. I am not going to slack in December. The numbers have been tallied for November and while I edged out October, it was only by 1 run (or about 20 minutes, I think... I'll check it in a few minutes and adjust the chart table dealie above.)

Anyway -- being tired and having a mild back strain almost kept me from running but I got out there... and I'm glad I did. Walking to the trail I run on, I just kept a determined mind, positive thoughts. Stretch, run, good. I'm so tired now but my run went well and I'm rebuilding to 25 minutes and beyond.

Listening to 9 songs in only 22 minutes was a little crappy for some reason. 2 to 3 minute songs just isn't what I prefer. On the positive side, they all had about the perfect Beats Per Minute to allow me to run at the pace I wanted. If the music is like that then I can run without having to think about it too much without having the music want me to slow down or potentially speed up if I feel like I have enough energy to.

Anyway... if I can get out there 3 times every 7 or 8 days, December might end up being okay. I don't really want to just pass November, but beat it by 2 or 3 runs, not just 1 or less.

TIE-DYE SEPARATOR BAR
PHONOGRAPH

Monday's Running Playlist
included most of this album...
The Beatles - Please Please Me (1963)
The Beatles

Please Please Me

1963 ... their debut album
I Saw Her Standing There
Misery
Anna (Go To Him)
Chains
Boys
Ask Me Why
Please Please Me
Love Me Do
P.S. I Love You
Baby It's You
Do You Want To Know A Secret
A Taste Of Honey
There's A Place
Twist And Shout
Only one time ever, I think, have I pressed play on The Beatles -- the White Album, a roommate's of mine, once upon a time ago in some western state far, far away. I've always seen The Beatles as irrelevant. Then again, isn't most music? They're probably not truly irrelevant but I guess to be more accurate, I just didn't care for them too much. There are lots of songs I know by them and I like 'em alright, but their albums? I just never had an interest. But finally I decided to take a look at their catalog and so I'm starting at the beginning with their debut album.

This is actually a lot better than I expected. What did I expect? I wasn't sure. Foofyness, maybe. It's a little foofy, I mean some of the harmonies are just lame and the "bop-shoo-wop" is a little too much leftover 50's for my taste. But it's still fun, I s'pose. I amn't totally hating this.

mp3 download
The Best Part Of This Whole Post...
from Ferris Bueller's Day Off!
(mucho classico! check it out!!)

3 comments:

Countertop said...

perfect post.

In Chicago today. Spent 4 hours at the Art Institute. I was (and still am) feeling all Ferris Buller!!!

Anonymous said...

Running is so important. Really, any type of cardio. Last May when they moved my office from Chicago to India was a gift for me.

I've never really been one to like doctors so I rarely went and hadn't been for many years. So before my employment insurance actually ran out I decided to get a physical. My blood pressure was 150/100!

Over the 4 years of college and 10years of sitting in an office, I went from 175lbs to 235. I am 6ft tall and 35 years old. My BMI was around 35 and I was technically considered medium obese. I had been a very active person until about age 20 when it slowed down. By 30 I had become very sedentary.

I was aware that I had gained considerable weight but was really unaware of what is was doing to my body. Obviously my cardiovascular system. I never get sick and felt great but that was an illusion of my interior health.

Years of inactivity, partying and not eating right had taken it's toll on me. I realized I was not immortal. So the doctor immediately told me I needed blood pressure medication. Not happy about this prospect, I declined his offer. I bought a blood pressure monitor and decided it was time to get in shape.

Old habits are hard to break though. So to start I focused on the worst things I was doing to my body. I immediately cut out all fast food, junk food, pop and salt and for the first week drank about a gallon of ice water a day with lime juice. Cut down on coffee. I moved more gradually into light walking. During that first week I lost about 6 pounds of retained body water, flushed out excess salt and felt better almost instantly.

I stuck to my changes and began walking or light jogging about 30 minutes a night with the IPOD. At first, my legs and ankles hurt from the excess weight. After about a month I lost coniderable body fat. Probably about 6 pounds that, so I was down to under 225 including the water loss after about 6 weeks.

Long story short , 6 months later I am down to 190. Still have 10 pounds to go but these last few really want to stay on. Hit a few plateaus along the way but stuck with it. Blood pressure normally around 125/130 over 80/85 now. Waist from 40 to 36.

The smell of fast food now makes me sick although I binge every now and again on BW3 wings though.

Joined a gym called Urban Active. This place has everything from a cardio bike movie theatre setup to sauna to 3 floors of machines. Though nothing beats walking or jogging in the great outdoors.

Spending 2 bucks a month for a gym membership is money well spent not only for the fitness but for the network of people you meet. A real bargain in my mind.

Foods used to lose weight.

Gallon of Ice water with real lime juice per day.
Low sodium tomato juice. (900mg Potassium per 8ounce glass!!)
Grapefruit Juice.
Carrot Juice (buy a juicer)

Low sugar, no fat yogurt.
No fat cottage cheese.
Whole grain kashi cereals.
Whole grain bread (Aunt Millies has this at 35 calories a slice).
Cheerios
Oatmeal

Fruits, my favorites, raspberries, blueberries, granny apples.

Frozen vegetables. My faves, lima beans, peas, green beans.

No salt almonds, pumpkin seeds and cashews.

Turkey breast, chicken breast, tons of fresh shrimp and occasional cut of prime red meat.

Definitely eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day. it really does speed up your metabolism when compared to 2 or 3 meals a day.

Breakfast is soooooo important!

If really want to go overboard, spend a couple hundred bucks on every vitamin supplement on the market. Though it takes effort to swallow 30 different pills a day! Copper caps, magnesium, cholest-off, you name it.

Not big on fat burners but I did take the green tea fat burner for a while.

Odd things i do based on myth. I like to drink a little balsamic vinegar each day. 1 table spoon of extra virgin olive oil a day. Eat garlic cloves.

3 days a week at the gym for 1 hour each session. 30 minutes weight training followed by 30 minutes cardio.

Once a weekend, a nice 2 hour walk late at night during that peak time!!! Miss Chicago, but have a nice apartment in Covington, Kentucky right across from downtown Cincinnati. So I can walk on the river or across into the city....

...Sorry to get long winded but it's cool you promote health Zoooma. I had to tell my story. It is so important to stay or get in shape and it can be done with effort and willpower. It can be fun too. Savor the challenge!!

The caveat for me was that I was able to focus solely on it for 6 months as my company gave me a nice severance package and 6 months of unemployment. This made it much easier to focus I'm sure and obviously reduced stress.

Now, if I could just quit smoking!

Walked/jogged over the weekend and listened to Cheech and Chong 'Up in Smoke' soundtrack and some Rolling Stones. 'Aftermath' I think.

Sorry for taking up so much space. Sheesh, look at me..leeching your files, promoting my startup blog on your site and eating up white space.

On top of it all, I do have some request for shows I don't have but I'll wait another day for that. : )

Zoooma said...

Countertop! Good to hear from ya, bro! Glad you dug your time in Chitown. I'm lookin' forward to gettin' back there and the Art Institute will definitely be on the agenda!

LSDAmerica -- wow! Just... wow! Right on, man!

It's easy to let ourselves go, isn't it? I know that if I let myself, I could easily weigh around 250-300 pounds because I just love food so darm much!

But I've got slightly elevated blood pressure and I also know that I don't want health problems when I'm older, particularly problems that could have quite possibly been avoided. I'm not the healthiest eater but I do often try to keep it healthy! I don't work out but I really do try to keep up with running. If a few days go by without a run, especially a week or so, I start getting down on myself. The actual act of running can really suck and I hate it... but I know how I'm gonna feel afterwards -- GREAT!!! I know that every step is something positive! Maybe someday I'll even run a marathon (London 2010, I'm thinking) but for now I just try to add on a little at a time and that's fine with me. It's fine because I know it's better than sitting on my ass and never exercising at all!

It really is so important to keep healthy. For the life of me I can't understand why so many able-bodied people don't. Society I suppose. We're a fast food, junk food, keep staying busy American society driven so much by the marketing of bad foods. That stuff isn't terrible in moderation but we tend to go overboard. We also probably look at ourselves at 200 and 220 and 250 and think it's not so bad. Why's it not so bad? Because it's everywhere all around us. But it can be bad!!!

I tell ya, you've got such a GREAT success story and it helps prove my point that people can make a difference in their physical health if they just set their mind to it. Have a donut a week but not 2 or 3 a day! Get rid of the Coca Cola and drink WATER!!!!!!! Eat fruits and vegetables and CUT OUT THE REFINED SUGAR!!!!!!!! It's so difficult for so many... but it can be done.

I'm glad you took the time to type all that out. Being long-winded was okay and I think the internet has enough space for saying all that you want to!!!

Keep up the GREAT work, man! Keep it up and while you improve your own health, maybe you can be an inspiration to others!

Right on!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated