Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Show With the Playin' In the Band That Makes Me Blush

Celtic bolt100 Days of the Dead

Day 22
Celtic bolt



31 Years Ago Tonight...

Grateful Dead ~ October 14, 1977
Hofheinz Pavilion ~ University of Houston
Houston, Texas


1st Set: Jack Straw, Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo->
El Paso, Brown-Eyed Women, Minglewood Blues, Loser,
Passenger, Friend Of The Devil, Me & My Uncle,
Tennessee Jed, The Music Never Stopped


2nd Set: Bertha-> Good Lovin', Candyman, Playing In The Band->
Drums-> The Wheel-> Wharf Rat-> Around And Around


Encore: Brokedown Palace-> Playing In The Band

Hey now it's me Sugarmag and I wanted to tell you about this here show. Something that you may have figured about me by now is that I am not the most critical of listeners and you already know that I'm going to tell you it's good. Well, bite me! It's a good show! Listen to it and it'll make ya' feel good! This show is special to me for personal reasons that I can't tell you about. Well I could tell you, but than I'd have to shoot you;). I can't listen to Playing In the Band without blushing. Anyway...

This show starts out with Bob saying, "We're trying to get everything just exactly perfect" and that always makes me smile. I wonder if it says in a Deadbase somewhere how many times Bobby said that? Jack Straw makes me want to dance, they played it a gazillion times (actually I think it was like 430) but it always makes me think of summer and Deer Creek. Half Step is nice, Jerry's guitar is awesome but it always is (unless you can't hear it). Donna sounds good singing on this song, really she sounds good on this whole show. Friend of mine can't stand Donna and she won't listen to any shows with Donna, but sometimes, like on this night, she sounds good. El Paso is one of my favorite cowboy tunes and this is a good one. Brown Eyed Women is good too and Jerry's guitar playing is beautiful. I really dig Passenger it rocks! It has such great energy and Donna sounds good. In fact I'm realizing that Donna sounded good more of the time than she sounded bad. This is just a good night, every song is good and I am running out of time and verbage to do it justice. I can't end my comments without telling you how much I liked Wharf Rat. The truth is that sometimes I am a little bored with Wharf Rat but they played a grate one this night, it has a long beautiful jam, it is just exactly perfect. Check it out, it'll make you smile.

Source: SBD> Master Cassette>
Reel> DAT> CDR> SHN

Audio Quality:
10/14/77 Houston @ Archive.org:

The soundboard
for Listening Only
-or-

Download It Right Here

Grateful Dead ~ 10/14/77 Houston ~ 1st Set
Hofheinz Pavilion ~ Set 2 - Part 1
Part 2 - Set 2
10-14-77 aka 10/14/77 aka 77-10-14 320 kbps mp3 download and setlist
Grateful Dead ticket - 10-14-77 Hofheinz Pavilion, University of Houston, Texas ... from www.psilo.com

17 comments:

Timmy said...

Great Googamooga, Sugar Maggie-Pie! This here is sho' nuf's a get-down kinda happenin'! Tanks for the many blushes............

Timmy said...

well! first I was insulted, by being accused of not leaving comments. PREPOSTEROUS! THEN, I was directed to click the ticket, & did so... But it seems it is for a different download, eh? it say: http://rapidshare.com/files/97208459/JGB-3-5-83-SantaCruz-Set_2.rar
Is this a mix-up or a rude joke? I'M SOOOOOO CORNFUSED...

Sugarmag said...

Hiya Timmy! I fixed it, try again. Thanks for letting us know and as always, thanks for stopping by and reading what I wrote and commenting. It's cool of ya'.

Timmy said...

Thanx, ShugMag... It bee's all fine now!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for making this available. A weird day for me, since this is both the anniversary of my first Grateful Dead show (10/14/77) and my father's passing last year (10/14/07). Good to hear it now, very comforting. Thanks again.

Zoooma said...

Thanks, Sugarmag, for putting up some comments on this show (A Great Listen!!!) and for fixin' the link.

Hey Now Timmy! Sorry about the link mix up. Twas I who set up the main body of the post (links, html) so twas my fault, not Sugar Mag's.

And, Timmy, you're someone who already leaves comments so no accusation or insult was hurled your way, my friend. I just wanted to get other people to comment occasionally. No big whoop if they don't but would be cool & friendly (like you) if they did. Thanks for comin', comin', comin' around... your comments are always welcome and appreciated!

Anonymous -- I'm sorry to hear about your father. Inevitably, at some point, we all lose someone close to us. Time may not truly heal all wounds, but with time they do get better. A few years ago, on an August night in New Hampshire, a guy named Bobby said -- "music can be used to ease us through the sad times." Thankfully us Deadheads have such a vast amount of great music to help us in our collective healing from whatever it is that has us down. I'm glad that I decided on 10/14/77. Glad to help give you some comfort with this great show to enjoy. I think the universe is lookin' out for us.

Sugarmag said...

Hey now Anonymous, I am really sorry to hear about your dad. Peace.

TheNWRA said...

Hi. Enjoying your 100 days. Never saw the Dead, their visits to UK being minimal and, only London. Listening here makes me feel like I almost did see them. So, thanks again.

btsacto said...

Dang - look at those ticket prices!!!!!

Anonymous said...

One of my all time faves. Still have my original on cassette. Thank you so much for all the great tunes.

Patrick

Anonymous said...

I've listened to a lot of 77 shows, 5/7,6/9 and 10/2 being among my favorites, but never heard this one. It was a tough choice between biting or download but... thanks for the tunes.

Anonymous said...

colorado ski bum says thanks

kfcbus said...

this is my first post on anyone's blog. your's is amazing, thanks for all the work and time to make the music never stop. I listen to alot of Dead and I was excited to see what you had to offer, the real old stuff and shows I haven't heard such as this one. I listen to XM GD channel where they play shows in their entirety 3 times a day. The other day they played 5-13-77 which can also be heard steaming at the internet archive. check it out! wow, that Stella was welling up some waterworks, so subtle, absolutely beautiful, the greatest musician of all time, Jerry with the greatest band, and man I'm crazy about Keith. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,it´s a rest of one shows published on Road Trips,October 1977,and this is really good show.Thanks,Grateful Boki!

CBlack said...

Hey, thanks! I see from the Archive that this can be hard to get in its entirety, so I'm grateful. The sound quality is very good and the playing is superb (at least as far as I've listened). I usually tend toward the Estimated>Eyes shows of 77, but I'm sure glad I took the time for this one.

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for a great show!

Anonymous said...

Hi,IMMB makers,this is a fantastic and important blog. As I remember this is a beautiful file.I lost all of downloaded Inspiration files by my extra hard disc. so I try to download and download these files. I am a afficioando since I was 15. That means 1973. Don`t wait.Download! v.chile

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated