Friday, February 29, 2008

Late Friday Run

Got all the way up to 5° (-15° C) today. Soon as the sun went down -- back into negativeland. Last day of February and we're most definitely still in fairly bitter coldness. The insane wicked cold is probably all gone... but we've got a lot of time ahead when it'll be below freezing, for the most part. My third Alaskan winter and I can't decide if I'm getting sick of it or not. I figured this would be my last Alaska winter before I head back to the seriously sickening Lower 48... but who knows. Maybe I'll take a road trip and see if I can find somewhere new to live... and then the idiocy that I hate about this great country will show itself to me and after I puke, right back to Alaska I'll go. We shall see.

At least I've got a couple gyms to use for running when the temperature is just too freakin' cold for trying to run outside. Almost didn't make it tonight. With the hours in the month running out fast, I HAD to get there tonight in order to push my February running time above January. That was my goal. But now that I'm back from the gym, showered, clean, resting, feeling good, I've got to wonder -- I had Friday off... why the heck did I wait until THE VERY LAST MINUTE to go!?!? The Rec Center at the University closed at 10. I got there at 9:40. Stoopid.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!

Friday Night Run: 17 minutes 41 seconds+3 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 00 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Nice run. No need to elaborate... but I will... a little: not difficult, not easy. Twas just a decent run. Made it around and around on the track with no serious problems, no huffing and puffing at the end. When I got to my End Cue in the music, walked on feeling good, couple laps to cool down and return to normal, got to my towel and felt like I coulda ran some more. So the question is: why do I only add on such small times to each new Playlist for each run? The other day I went 19 minutes... yeah, broken up with rests in between running, but I can go longer. Might not be doing anything huge to progress towards being able to run a marathon, but the most important thing is I'm running and for my health, that's a great thing.

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Aaron Shust - Anything Worth Saying (2005)Aaron Shust

Anything Worth Saying

2005






Give Me Words
Glory To You
Matchless
Let The People Praise
Stillness (Speak To Me)
More Wonderful
Give It All Away
Change The Way
My Savior My God
Stand To Praise (Psalm 117)
In Your Name
One Day


Apparently at the 2007 Dove Awards, Aaron Shust was named Songwriter Of The Year (which is for music in 2006, right?) He also got Song Of The Year for My Savior My God. I'm not sure why but the Grammy Awards mean absolutely nothing to me, but the Dove Awards I'd give more credence to. I didn't know these facts about Shust before I started listening to this album, but... okay, cool, I guess.

The songs here all or mostly all fall into the category of praise and worship. And his sound ranges from a lighter more adult contemporary feel to edgier with more guitar, a sound more suited to the listener who doesn't want fluff. Fluff's okay when you want to fall asleep listening to something on a long flight or train ride, or when you have a headache, or your pastor's mom is in the car... but I like songs that you want to turn up loud, tunes that make you want to run faster, not music that's just... nice. Aaron Shust on this first album brings both which is welcomed. Sometimes you get all of one or all of another and even if it's great music, it can be rather monotonous. No sameness all the way through here -- just pretty good music that sings out loud the glory of God.

Couple reviews: Jesus freak Hideout &
Christianity Today

music note 128 kbps dload @ Música Cristã MP3 music note

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated