Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Bob, Rita, Ziggy... now Stephen

The world keeps spinning today. People've woken up... maybe grabbed themselves a beer, maybe gone to work, maybe stabbed or shot someone, committed genocide, worked on building a nuclear weapons program in order to commit genocide while essentially spitting in the face of the U.N., performed an operation on a cancer patient, had sex, ate a bag of Doritos for breakfast, fantasized about raising taxes in an effort to take more of the American citizens' hard-earned money to, against the wishes of roughly half of us, socialize portions of this country, layed down some tracks in a studio, fed their dog, or maybe indulged in some much needed exercise.

Here it's just another winter day in this sub-zero, sub-Arctic paradise that is Interior Alaska.

Up wayyyy too early for a day off from work...

Press Play. Run. Yada freakin' yada...

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Tuesday Morning Run: 19 minutes 1 sec. (approx.)
(+2:34)
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 32 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time February:2 hours35 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Running Goal -- 17:32
Approximate Achieved Time -- 19:01

What a bizarre occurrence this morning. I felt ready for a run, felt good, no worse, no better than any other day. About 2 minutes in I started seriously thinking: "Stop. Stop. Stop." Over and over. Successfully I put that out of my mind... but then all of a sudden I stopped. Just like that. Completely out of the blue I just halted my run (but continued walking around the track.)

Strange.

Always my goal is to start once, run, stop, good deal, exercise finished. This morning I failed. My mind was swimming in nothing but feelings of misery. I failed.
But I was determined to run some more.

After some walking I started back up running again, finished out the song it was on, and slowed my pace back down to just a walk. Did that for a song and then once again ran for a song. Rolled with that one more revolution through and so I got a whole bunch of running in. Wasn't sure how much exactly. Twasn't until I got back and showered and sat down just a little while ago to figure it out... somehow it turned out that I ran LONGER than what I was planning to. Hmm.

So my failure was washed out by an extra minute and a half of running. Just a very weird morning as far as running goes.



Running tunes from

the album of the day...


Stephen Marley - Mind Control (2007)Stephen Marley

Mind Control


2007






Mind Control
Hey Baby
Officer Jimmy (Interlude)
Iron Bars
The Traffic Jam
You're Gonna Leave
Chase Dem
Lonely Avenue
Let Her Dance
Fed Up
Inna Di Red

Everyone knows great reggae doesn't have to come from Jamaica, right? It can come from Wilmington, Delaware! Delaware?!?! Yeah... Delaware. That's where Bob's 2nd son Stephen was born. America's first state might have the same Atlantic Ocean that Jamaica has, they've even got a nice beach or two... but an island native this jah reggae mon is not... well, at least not by birth.

Stephen sure knows the music, that's for sure. It's in his soul. How could it not be?

Here on his debut as a solo artist, Stephen not only immerses himself in the roots of contemporary reggae but adds touches of hip hop, as well. Now I'm not one who digs hip hop -- as a general rule of life(!) -- but the hip hop and rap guest artists brought in help add a little different flavor to this overall body of work, separating it from the masses of roots reggae albums one can listen to and never really tell one from another sometimes.

As well as guests on the album, a nice portion of the family Marley is here, too. For some reason that helps give me more of a connection to the music. Listening to the First Family of Reggae, that's not just listening to reggae, that's special and that's what this album is... some great tunes without a doubt, mon.

One thing that's just amazing here is Stephen's voice and how similar it is to Bob's. If anyone ever thinks sometimes Ziggy is really close, so much so you might know which is which, Stephen is even closer sounding.

If I still smoked the ganja, this would have me lightin' a big ol' spliff to just kick back and... and just be.

Check out a professional review at Allmusic.

music note 128 kbps dload @ Rique do Reggae music note

1 comment:

Sam said...

I got ya interested didn't I?

The interesting part about Stephen is he helped produce, sometimes without any posted credit, much of his brothers' music. When I heard that I knew I had to buy his CD. A wealth of production knowledge mixed with his own raw ingrained talent, it had to be a good CD. And it is.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated