Monday, February 18, 2008

Boy what a Run!

It would only be good to be a Smurf if Smurfette was easy.

Yay, I love work. That's sarcasm. Actually -- I do love work... but being an EMT can be so draining sometimes. The job's not exactly routine... that's one of the things I love about it. Helping people in need completely trumps that... but I'm just glad I don't wake up Monday-Friday and put on a tie to go to the office... same thing, all the time. Yawn. I just couldn't do it. So I do this. 7 shifts in two weeks. Sometimes an 8th. Sometimes 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. ... usually 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. ... and sometimes a 24-hour shift.

There are days when the worst case is someone's wittle tummy is upset... so we taxi them to the hospital where they get the doctor's examination which'll probably end result in something like this -- "You've got gas."

Then there are the meth addicted mommies who can't take care of their kids. And sometimes the elderly are neglected because their kid is the one who's addicted to meth. Hooray.


No wonder there's a high burnout rate in the profession. But for now I stick with it. Glad there's an open gym after work and good music to listen to.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Monday After Work Run: 17 minutes 22 seconds
(+4)
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 04 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time February:1 hour59 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Been a couple days since my last run. Decided to take yesterday off for
President's Day. I needed to pay respect to Millard Fillmore and George W. Bush, etc, etc...

A good run; it went... alright.

My left hamstring's been acting up over the past week or so... and I don't know why. This really blows. Yesterday's day of rest seemed to do it no good at all. Oh well. It's not hurting, thankfully. Discomfort there is but no pain that makes me cringe or go "owww." That's a good thing, yes, good indeed. I've gotta monitor it, that's all.

As far as running, the hamstring did not hamper the performance at the Rec Center this evening. Felt fairly good, no major trouble. Feelin' damn fine now and knowing that I'm doing something good for my heart and my health and my waistline -- just makes running absolutely worth it!



Running tunes from

the album of the day...


U2 - Boy (1980 ... their debut album)U2

Boy


1980

their debut






I Will Follow
Twilight
An Cat Dubh
Into The Heart
Out Of Control
Stories For Boys
The Ocean
A Day Without Me
Another Time, Another Place
The Electric Co.
Shadows And Tall Trees


Great freakin' album! I think U2 still today is the 2nd coolest band alive, next to the Rolling Stones, of course. They'll turn to dust soon enough (I have reason to believe Keith Richards already has, he's just a hologram on stage these days) and U2 will be king. But sometimes I joke that this is when they were truly great. The music on Boy is from a time when they were nobody on the world stage, just a small club band from Dublin, Ireland. Today they'd sell out Madison Square Garden 20 nights in a row... but when they first traveled across the seas to come to the shores of America, small joints like The Ritz was where people would have go to see them play. Man... they've come a lonnnnnng way. Read the AllMusic review here.

320 kbps dload right here

U2 - Boy

U2 - Boy (1980)

U2 - Boy (1980)

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated