Wednesday, February 13, 2008

a Claptony Creamy "Where Rock Lives" NYC kinda run

Fan-freakin'-tastic day in Fairbanks, Alaska! Fascinating that 8° (-13 C) brings people out like it's the first day of beach season. So many have been cooped up, for the most part, for so many days (because of the extreme temps last week) that today was like -- "Is it really safe? The Japs and Nazis are all gone, right? We can come out now?" People everywhere. You'd a thunk it was... like the first day of beach season. Is there even such a thing as "beach season"? Seems like a freshly hatched term. Beach season... the more I think it and type it, the more odd it sounds.

In any case -- with the day off from work, I was able to catch up on so many things that I had completely neglected lately. Life doesn't stop when it's -20° (-30ish C) and worse... but a lotta people just don't give a crap about anything when all you wanna do is stay INSIDE and keep feeding logs into the wood-burning stove. Not today. Hopefully no longer this winter. Don't get me wrong, read my lips: it ain't quite shorts and t-shirt weather... yet... it's still freakin' cold. It just ain't so damn mother-f'in cold that crawling into your freezer would seem like relief compared to going outside!

And tonight I headed on over to the University to get me another run in.
Hell, yeah! Exercise -- it does a body good. More people oughta try it!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Wednesday Night Run: 17 minutes 12 seconds
(+4)
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 9 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time February:1 hour 7 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Not a bad run.

On the good ol' 0 to 10 Scale...

0 being a piece of cake walk to fridge
9 being mandatory hospitalization due to collapsing
10 being death

about a 6.5 -- that's cool because running ain't a piece of cake for me by any means. I hate it. Every time out I wanna quit early. Somehow 99% of the time I persist.

The way I feel for about 5 to 10 minutes immediately after stopping: like crap.

The way I feel once I'm showered and relaxing: oh mean, soooo good!

I'm really gonna bust my butt to eclipse my January Run Total. Taking off so much time because of the hellishly cold weather has hindered my progress towards that... but I'm gonna make a good push!


Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Cream

Disraeli Gears

1967






Strange Brew
Sunshine Of Your Love
World Of Pain
Dance The Night Away
Blue Condition
Tales Of Brave Ulysses
SWLABR
We're Going Wrong
Outside Woman Blues
Take It Back
Mother's Lament

What a sweet classic. One of the most classic rock and roll records ever! The two singles that so many people know -- Strange Brew and Sunshine Of Your Love -- plus Tales Of Brave Ulysses really took me back a couple decades, back to my beloved home state, well, the state where I grew up, New Jersey, out in the 'burbs, not too far from New York City. Thanks to Scott Muni and Dan-O and Pat St. John and Carol Miller and many other great radio personalities from that time, I used to hear those three tunes quite often on 102.7 WNEW. On the way to work, driving down the Garden State Parkway to The Shore, goin' anywhere around Bergen County when a tape wasn't playing, WNEW -- the place "Where Rock Lives" -- was there to fill the void and provide a trillion hours of great music. Just a shame to read about the demise of that once legendary radio station.

Anyway, a week or two ago was the first time I ever heard this entire album and... wow, just so great! I got nothin' against the blues but for Cream to move in this direction, definitely the right choice. On shuffle and repeat I could keep this going for hours.

I'm pretty darn addicted to listening to different music ALL the time, it seems. Much I love, much I like, some I tolerate... but this is yet another of those albums that makes me completely question why I listen to so much that just doesn't quite achieve this level of greatness.

music note 128 kbps dload @ walldill music note

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated