Saturday, February 16, 2008

Just a confusing Trans run

Why do I always feel compelled to type utter nonsense here? Sometimes it's interesting information. All I did today was nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. One of the laziest days I've had all year... and I liked it!!!

Did get off my butt for a run about an hour ago. The Rec Center never seems to be that crowded on a Saturday night. Very cool. Students must be gettin' ready to enjoy their night, not hugely in a gym mood. I was, just for running, and I got my run in. Yup. Good day.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!

Saturday evening Run: 17 minutes 18 seconds
(+3)
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 42 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time February:1 hour41 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Tonight's run was one of those where inexplicably I succeeded with very little difficulty. Not just a so-so run, actually somewhat easy. Why, from one day to the next, does it change when my preparation is essentially the same? Very confuzling. In any case, done deal, another run in the books. I only added 3 seconds but then again, I'm not in a huge race or nothin'. Yes, I'd love to be able to run a marathon in 4 hours... but quite possibly that's never in my future so these relatively short runs, they're better than nothing! I keep saying that... 'cause it's so true! This exercise is strenuous and it's the only strenuous exercise I get and for that I'm wicked grateful!

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Neil Young - Trans (1982) ... recorded using a vocoder on many songs.  Also with Nils Lofgren or Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Fame.Neil Young

Trans

1982






Little Thing Called Love
Computer Age
We Are In Control
Transformer Man
Computer Cowboy (AKA Syscrusher)
Hold On To Your Love
Sample And Hold
Mr. Soul
Like An Inca

Wow. I just commented at Infinite Foolishness that I can't imagine what the person who listened to this album before ever hearing any other Neil Young must have thought. Hopefully not scarred for life from how... odd this is. There are a couple very straight-forward Neil songs here. Like An Inca is the exceptional stand-out. At almost 10 minutes, for my money it's a freakin' masterpiece. Little Thing Called Love has a rather country-ish feel to it. Hold On To Your Love is also one of the normal tracks. Mr. Soul comes very close to being normal yet still has a touch of what Neil was messing with on so many of the other songs here.

The rest of the tracks that are on Trans -- just... completely out there. According to the Wikipedia page for this album (and we all know Wikipedia is the be-all-end-all of accurate information on the internet)
when recording these futuristic songs about computers dominating the world, Neil used something called a vocoder, a device he used in communicating with his kid with cerebral palsy. Okay. It makes for some weird stuff, so different than the classic Neil Young that so many people know and love.

music note 320 kbps dload @ Strange Rhythm music note

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated