Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Untitled Tuesday Run Above Zero with the Maniacs

Finally above 0 Fahrenheit! Yesterday afternoon the mercury slowly crept up to 1 and then it kept on moving, getting up there... all the way on up to a whopping 4° (-16 C.) First time above zero in how long now? Like 6 or 7, maybe even 8 days? Man, if anyone in the Lower 48 thinks they've had it bad this winter -- Yo, come see what we got and you'll be cryin' for mommy in no time!

I don't think we'll see such an intense stationary blanket of extreme cold again this year. It's not about to turn into Spring anytime soon, nope, no daisies popping up through the snow yet... but 4 degrees above zero almost feels like Spring compared to the nightly -35 to -45! At those temps, most people don't wanna do nothin'. Just stay inside and stay warm, plenty of time to work on plans for global domination and new ways to castigate the loonie liberals or other miscellaneous etc etc that you've been wanting to accomplish forever now. No leaving the house unless you absolutely must. But temps like yesterday afternoon and this morning, just so good to get out, to drive down the road, to get errands done, to enjoy again!

Running isn't exactly enjoyable but it's good for ya so that's where I went this morning. I oughta stick to running AFTER work 'cause gettin' up so early blows. But tonight I wanted to listen to and post up a Jerry show so off to the gym bright and early I was. Yay? Not so yay when I woke up but I feel great now!

Well, my shift starts soon so adios!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Tuesday Morning Run: 17 minutes 8 seconds
(+11)
· indoors ·

I'm not sure exactly why I did it but I tacked on a huge amount of time to this morning's run. Tacked on meaning I arranged today's playlist to run 11 seconds longer than yesterday. That's fairly significant for me but no problem, for the most part.

Soon as I hit the track I was ready to go. Not a piece of cake run but not difficult either. Definitely an improvement over yesterday. Adding on so much time I don't think I'm gonna do much of... kinda planning on taking my time getting up to 18 minutes. These times of mine are still laughable for some people but for me they're mostly just fine. Better to go 17 minutes than 0!



Running tunes from

the album of the day...31 sec

10,000 Maniacs


Hope Chest:
The Fredonia Recordings
1982-1983


(released in 1990)


Planned Obsolescence
The Latin One
Katrina's Fair
Poor de Chirico
Grey Victory
National Education Week
Death of Manolete
Orange
Tention
Anthem For Doomed Youth
Daktari
Groove Dub
Pit Viper
My Mother The War

I have always loved the 10,000 Maniacs album from 1987 -- In My Tribe. This one had escaped me somehow. Never listened to it until just recently and again this morning. The tunes here, recorded way early on in the Maniacs existence back around Jamestown and Buffalo, New York, feel quite raw and not so managed in a studio by a highly successful producer. For my musical tastes, some of these songs completely blow away what's on In My Tribe. They have that early 1980's new wave "alternative" feel to them. In My Tribe kinda feels like a girls album, sort of, but tunes on Hope Chest have a darker feel and the reggae vibes on a couple of them make me dig the Maniacs in a whole different way. Cool collection that I'm definitely going dig listening to in the future.

music note 10,000 Maniacs - Hope Chest @ 320 kbps music note
mp3 free rapidshare download

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated