Thursday, February 28, 2008

Manchester, Morrissey, Marr ... it's a Smiths Run

A week or two ago: 40° (4° C)...

down to -21° (-29° C) this morning.

Was absolutely determined to get to the gym this morning before work. Tough to have the motivation for that when it's this cold.

I got 'er done, though.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Thurs Morn pre-work Run: 17 minutes 38 secondsstill
indoors
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 10 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time February:2 hours53 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Unremarkable. But I'll remark anyway.

Decent run. After my semi-failed run a couple days ago, today was like starting over... almost. Made my time with no serious problem. Looking forward already to 18 minutes! Soon enough. Darn good exercise and that's what's most important. Keeps the heart healthy, keeps the cardiovascular system healthy, helps keep away diabetes, helps keep away cancer. Makes me feel great afterwards!



Running tunes from
the album of the day...


The Smiths: self-titled debut (1983/84)The Smiths

self-titled debut

recorded in 1983
released in early '84




Reel Around The Fountain
You've Got Everything Now
Miserable Lie
Pretty Girls Make Graves
The Hand That Rocks The Cradle
This Charming Man
Still Ill
Hand In Glove
What Difference Does It Make?
I Don't Owe You Anything
Suffer Little Children


A shirtless man on an album cover? That might be fine in the hands of a woman but for the male of the human species? Not really. Thankfully the music in my ears is a whole 'nother story.

Great stuff from this Manchester band, a leader in "alternative" music out of England in the early 90's. Not that I really care at all about anything Rolling Stone has to say, but apparently this is in their Top 500 Albums of All Time. What does that mean? Whoever compiled the list likes it. Took me back, it did, way way back to high school. And still today the sound is timeless and probably better than half of everything that'll be produced in 2008.
Check out a "professional" review at Allmusic.

music note 128 kbps dload @ Back On The Road music note

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated