Thursday, March 22, 2007

wicked tough run

While temporarily in South Carolina, I'm finding the heat nearly unbearable. Getting back to the most comforting cold weather of central Alaska cannot happen too soon! For now I will put up with it. Sometimes I'll even suffer a little. Today's run was under the mid-afternoon sun with a temperature around 80° Fahrenheit. I've done this before and even with a Heat Index over 100°. Those were shorter runs and I rested for five to ten minutes immediately afterwards with ice-cold water or Gatorade to sip on and hold to my wrists and neck to try to cool myself down a bit. Even though it wasn't that hot today, it still wasn't such an easy run. As soon as my time was reached I had to stop and do the brief bending over with hands on knees, so grateful the run was done. Still I achieved the time I was going for.

74 minutes out on the trail . . .

Running Time -- 13 minutes & 23 seconds (+27 seconds!!)

Billy Ray Cyrus -- Some Gave All (1992)

Wher'm I Gonna Live?
Someday, Somewhere, Somehow
Never Thought I'd Fall In Love With You
Could've Been Me
Ain't No Good Goodbye
Achy Breaky Heart
These Boots Are Made For Walkin'
I'm So Miserable
Some Gave All

Monty Python -- Matching Tie & Hankerchief (1973)

Salvation Fuzz, Elephantoplasty,
Novel Writing, Word Assocation, Bruces,
The Adventures Of Ralph, Cheese Shop,
Wasp Club/Tiger Talk, A Great Actor,
Side 2, Side 3

Hmm, Billy Ray Cyrus? I really chose this? Achy Breaky Heart?!? It actually wasn't so bad. Boy bands will make me wanna hang myself. Death metal might make me wanna go on a shooting spree in a mall and then cut my head off with a plastic knife. But this wasn't too bad. (But isn't saying that still saying it was bad just not that bad?) Actually it was okay. I'll probably even listen to ol' Billy Ray again someday... but not anytime soon. Sorry, Hannah Montana, I just don't dig your dad too much. (It mighta been that incredibly idiotic mullet he once had. Sometimes an image sticks and it just ruins all future thoughts. I suppose I'll see if other tunes on his later albums are a little less mullety.)

After my run and Billy Ray was over, the Monty Python album made for a nice return hike. It does takes more concentration to absorb it all. Because of that, even on such a plain trail, I'm not sure listening to comedy on the mp3 player is a grand idea. Music can take much less focusing while the eyes might wanna wander to the surroundings or to other thoughts. But doing that at least partially during the Python sketches makes it kinda easy to get a little separated from what's being performed. I'll give it another try sometime on a plain trail that I'm just out for an hour or two on but comedy I certainly won't bring on my Appalachian Trail hike (assuming that even gets to happen sometime down the line.)

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated