Saturday, March 3, 2007

Oh, the joy of a convenience store in NJ

Clerks (1994)

directed by Kevin Smith, his first feature film

What a very interesting little film. At this point in my life I didn't really care for all that's rude and crude but hey, that's what it's mostly like growing up in New Jersey. That's probably what it's like just about everywhere. These aren't the kinds of people I hung out with but growing up about an hour from where Clerks was filmed and takes place, I have this creepy feeling that I can sort of relate to them, or at least I've absolutely associated with them.

Shot for just under $27,000, not including the cost to pay for the soundtrack, Clerks, in all honestly, is pure genius. There are loads of flaws but it's all tied together in a nice and somewhat neat package. The actors aren't professional so that allows the viewer to better relate to them. The incredibly amateur production is fast forgotten about and we're drawn into the happenings in the lives of these somewhat odd and incredibly weird characters. Without a doubt, a day in the life of a couple of New Jersey convenience store clerks has never been better told.

Being a fan of the filmmaking of Kevin Smith, I'm a little surprised that it took me so long to see this. Glad I finally did. Despite all that's out there and disgusting about Clerks, I might decide to someday watch it again.

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated