Sunday, March 4, 2007

minor milestone

Is 11 minutes significant? I'm not sure. Considering I'm sort of trying to be able to run a marathon in about, oh, 4 hours . . . 11 minutes is a loooooooonng way away. Considering I'm running four to five times a week, this is indeed a significant mark. Each run isn't cake but I'm not completely dying. After each run I nearly suffer for a minute or so but I'm so glad that I haven't quit this, that I'm keeping it up. I don't have to do this. I'm not a runner. Not at all. But I run because it's right in order for me to be a healthier human being.

out on the trail about 67 minutes

running time -- 11 minutes, 1 second (+30 seconds!)

retro tunes:


Violent Femmes -- self-titled debut album (1983)

Good Feeling
Gone Daddy Gone
To The Kill
Confessions
Promise
Prove My Love
Please Do Not Go
Add It Up
Kiss Off
Blister In The Sun

music note find a dload @ Infinite Foolishness music note

+ some live Femmes tunes: American People,
Rejoice And Be Happy, Positively 4th Street
+
The Sweet Sunny South
Stealin'
The Thrill Is Gone -- Jerry Garcia & David Grisman

What a great hour+ of music! It's been years since I've heard that whole Femmes album. Esta mucho classico! Just like with watching horrible movies and then watching a great one completely makes up for those that are pure blah, listening to so much mediocre music is all made up for with one great playlist like this one.

4 comments:

Sugarmag said...

Hey, did you see The Violent Femmes open for the Dead at Buckeye Lake in 1991?

Zoooma said...

Hey, no way, WERE YOU THERE?!?!?! WHOOAAAAAAA!!!!!

No, i wasn't there. (heh heh)

Long answer -- U of Utah was on the quarter system, started in the Fall not until like Sept 18 give or take... which is technically still Summer but HEY, it was the "Fall" Quarter. Anyway... on the flip side, Spring Quarter didn't get out for the summer until around June 10th-ish, depending on when one's last final was.

In '91 I had mailordered for a bunch of shows and me and my girlfriend at the time and my friend Dave and his girlfriend at the time, we had all packed up our stuff, moved out, and while Vanessa (Dave's GF) was finishing her last exam, we were waiting... as soon as she was done we left right from there and headed East: destination northern New Jersey (where me and Dave were from.) BUT... we drove straight to D.C. first, got there in the early afternoon on June 14 for the RFK show that night and then onto NJ right after that. So no Buckeye in '91.

Was at Buckeye in '92 and then... I know I was there twice, don't remember what year but I guess either 93 or 94. That was one of my favorite places for a Summer Tour show!

Sugarmag said...

I was there. It was my third show. No one knew that The Violent Femmes were going to play, it was a surprise. It was a hot hot day and a hot show. I was also there in 92 and 93. No shows in 94, if I had known that that was the last year, I would have made other choices. Funny story about Buckeye Lake in 93...http://sugarmag-sugarmagsrandomthoughts.blogspot.com/2007/12/chatting-with-old-friends.html

Were you at RFK the year they broke out Casey Jones? I think it was 93, I'm too lazy to look it up.

Zoooma said...

Sugar Mag, that's cool you were at Buckeye a few times. What a great time on Summer Tour! You're reallymakin me wanna indulge a LOT more in 90's stuff so I can put up more memories... and if anyone else was at any... like you at Buckeye or wherever, you or they can also add their memories. Uuuuuugh. I know i said it in another comment but there's just so many years to explore... and I know many people would argue the 90's aren't worth it compared to other years... but I'll have to think about it.

ANYWAY... '92 was the Casey Jones bust-out, lazy. And wow... i... i.... i don't wanna mention that I had floor seats from GDTS Mailorder................. and i didn't go!! LOL... nooooooooooo! Thanks for reminding me! (Actually I had reminded myself about 2 weeks ago when I found the tix tucked into a book I cracked open and was flipping through for the first time in years... there they were.) I have like no ticket stubs anymore but those tickets I still have.

What's the story, why I didn't go, you're wondering? Stay tuned :) and maybe I'll put up that great show so I can torture myself... no, I'm a big boy, i can handle it, besides, what can I do now?! Just enjoy the tunes!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated