Monday, April 21, 2008

Surfing? Nada. Nada Surf? Yes!

We've definitely turned the corner on Spring... finally. I think the temp's been above freezing for about a day and a half or two days now or something like that... for quite awhile the snow's slowly been melting away... and in the morning there was no ice out there. Soon enough them daisies'll be poppin' up, I just know it. The world will be in bloom. I guess I'm ready for it. It's been SO NICE wearing shorts the past few days! I came here to escape but I can't shake the old ways... meaning I'm very much a warm weather person... sort of -- I love wearing shorts but I also dig the cold. Total confliction! Some of each is nice but not a LOT of one and little of another. Here you get so little opportunity to wear shorts and shoes with no socks. But spring has sprung and it'll be summer in no time ... but that doesn't last long before Fall sets in again, which also doesn't last very long... I'm tellin' ya, gonna freakin' be snowin' again in no time it seems! Oi!!!!

And at the moment I'm sittin' here with not a thought of leaving yet. Part of me wants to stay to further explore this wilderness, to test my limits more than I have... but at the same time, while I haven't looked into it lately in quite a long time, I know part of me also wants to bolt from here -- Alaska experience over; time to get back to the world. But I hate the world. Sort of. The crap that plagues America, there's just less of it here... and I like that so.

Ahhh well, in any case, I was out there enjoyin' the weather today. I SO wanted to run on the trail... I walked to the end of the road to check it out -- SLUSH. No running on slush so tonight I headed to the gym. Gonna be awhile for that trail to dry out, unfortunately... so indoors I must remain in order to get my running in.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!· indoors ·
Monday Night Run: 19 minutes 16 seconds+6 sec
XXXXXXXX++++++· 0 sec ·++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time April:2 hour 13 minutes
March:3 hours57 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes

2½ days since my last run. Not great but not terrible. Been steady, I think, with my increases of 5 or 6 seconds. Decent run tonight. I really can't remember the last time I had a difficult time. Pretty cool!

But I kinda feel like I'm a wuss in not bumping that up by more but eh, whatever. It's just that it feels like I'm never gonna be able to run a marathon. Not that I need to. Not that I necessarily want to, at least not for enjoyment or anything, not to test myself, but for charity. I'll see what happens. More on that at a later date...

PHONOGRAPHRunning tunes came
from the album of the day...

Nada Surf - The Proximity Effect [cover] (1998)Nada Surf

The Proximity Effect

1998

Hyperspace
Amateur
Why Are You So Mean To Me?
Mother's Day
Troublemaker
80 Windows
Bacardi
Bad Best Friend
Dispossession
The Voices
Firecracker
Slow Down
Robot

I've never listened to this NYC band before. They've got great alternative indie rock and punk pop and kinda grunge sound... not bad. But because of the kinda high number of songs, there's some unneeded filler on the album that could be tossed out, make 'em B-sides, and that would make this a better collection of tunes. Oh well. Still a great mix of kinda mellow and louder, faster songs. Firecracker stands out and was great as one of my running songs. Mother's Day has a peculiar sound to it compared to the rest here -- very cool and remind me of a band or two but I just can't think who right now, sort of a Faith No More meets Weezer... I dunno. I don't really like to compare anyway. All's I know it's not a bad album and I can once again say that I look forward to more Nada Surf for running in the future.

320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a dload @ Music Sharing 4 All 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE

1 comment:

Folly said...

It's 79 degrees right now in my little corner of the world. Just thought I'd share that. :)

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated