Saturday, April 5, 2008

Rush Run

Night shifts, they be takin' a toll on me, it seems. Just finished another, my last for this week.

When not at work, it feels like half the time I don't know if I should be awake or sleeping in order to be fully rested. Been awhile since I've worked night shifts ... not sure why I volunteered for them. Seein' as how I have a choice at work, I don't gotta work them at all! A small bonus to the paycheck is nice, though. Plus it frees up my days for -- for what?! During the daylight hours when I'm not working, I've got to make sure I get enough sleep in 'cause I'm gonna be awake all night, on the clock from 9 p.m. until 9 in the morning.


Back in my comfortable abode now, I see on the FOX NEWS CHANNEL that an Armory, excuse me, an Armoury in Quebec City burned down... I guess now everybody needs to do their dancin' elsewhere, huh.

But wait a minute... according to many people, Fox is the "Faux" News Channel, so isn't the story somehow false then? The video of the fire, was that like, what? Hollywood produced and directed by the White House? I'm confused.... silly people who hate Fox News Channel because they tell both sides of a story (liberal AND conservative) ... unlike people like, oh, that dillhole Olbermann and the New York Times. Sheesh, you'd think honest, fair & balanced journalism was a good thing... but nope, some people want conservatism never to be spoken by anyone, especially on TV where many people can see/hear it... after all, that ugliness needs to be banished from America, right?

Anyway... I guess a whole lotta people who don't have it in them to care about freedom for the Iraqi people and getting rid of evil in the world (war protesters) are happy that the Manège militaire (the armory) is now a pile of rubble ... well, that may be a stretch but it was a symbol of war, a museum to Canadian military history... eh.

Enough of that. Time to finish this post and get on with my day...

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!

Saturday Morning Run: 18 minutes 52 seconds+5 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 00 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:3 hours 57 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Right after my shift was over, a little more than an hour ago, I changed clothes and headed over to the University Rec Center to get a run in today.

Temps here are right around freezing this morning -- for an outdoors run that's doable ... but it's either slushy or too icy now [on the trail that I run on.] Swell.

Running on snow is GREAT but it appears that is really only done around here early in the snow season: October & November before the temps get too wicked cold. It's not wicked cold now but the conditions, they just ain't copacetic for an outdoor trail run so still I've got to hit the indoor track.

Pretty good run, methinks. Slowly building to 19 minutes, almost there. Then another slow climb to 20. Yay. But better than nothing!



Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Rush - Counterparts (1993) -- Neil Peart on drums, Alex Leifson on guitar, Geddy Lee on bass, keyboards, and vocals.Rush

Counterparts

1993

320 kbps mp3 download





Animate
Stick It Out
Cut To The Chase
Nobody's Hero
Between Sun And Moon
Alien Shore
The Speed Of Love
Double Agent
Leave That Thing Alone
Cold Fire
Everyday Glory

This is the Rush album that I left off with way back when. Prior to this, getting the newest release from them was something I always did goin' way back to Grace Under Fire in the 80's sometime. But this one (and later albums) I just didn't bother with. The other stuff that I've had tapes and CDs of, man, GREAT music. Rush was my favorite band for awhile, again -- way back when. Saw 'em twice, I did, once in the Meadowlands (Brendan Byrne Arena) and also in the Garden (Madison Square Garden) -- Hold Your Fire and Presto tours, I believe. I can picture each concert so vividly in my mind. Great shows! Neil Peart -- Jesus, man, best drummer ever? Holy crap! And hey, Geddy Lee and Alex Leifson, they ain't bad either.

Anyway -- I thought I'd check out Counterparts and, whew -- great collection of songs ... except for one which I'm never gonna listen to again. Just a shame it was recorded and included here. The exclusion of that one song makes this album perfectly listenable without wanting to skip anything here. In a way I'm amazed that this spent time at #2 on the Billboard charts. Rush? Wow. Very cool. In a way I'm not surprised because this album is so good. I had no clue this would match how much I dig Hold Your Fire and Presto and Roll The Bones and Power Windows and others from that general era but yeah, this sure can be played right along with those -- just so long as that one song is left off the Playlist and the rest is played LOUD!

MUSIC NOTE 128 kbps dload @ Waldill MUSIC NOTE

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated