Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Another Angelic Run

More snow? Yup, more snow. 15° (-9 C) this morning and it's been snowing either steadily or off and on for about two and a half straight days now... or something close to that. Not a whole lot of accumulation, it's never been heavier than just a nice, light snowfall, but everything keeps getting this pure new covering of white. Ain't no daisies pushin' up or trees turning green yet. Ha!

Working the Monday overnight shift -- 9 p.m. till 9 a.m. Tuesday morning -- basically consists of more time spent napping, reading, sitting around watching TV while waiting for a call than actually interacting and working on patients who need medical care. Unbelievable that I get paid for that... not that I'm complaining! Working this shift is something I should do more often!

Mets 2008 home opener started at 9:10 this morning
(1:10 p.m. Eastern time,) right after my shift was through; last Opening Day at Shea Stadium. The free preview of MLB Extra Innings is done... dang it... so no way I could watch the game on TV. Desperately needing a run, I had my change of clothes so that I could hit the Rec Center again this morning. After getting that exercise in, I'm back in my house, cleaned up and ready to watch the Mets lose on Yahoo!'s GameChannel dealie. No audio, no video, but you can follow pitch by pitch while listening to some music or something... pretty cool device for those who can't afford to shell out $160 for the Extra Innings package on TV.

Shea Stadium New York Mets 1964-2008 final season logoKinda wish I was there for the last Opening Day in Flushing. Thinkin' about it really brings to the surface a lot of memories and emotions from my years going there for Mets games. Great times... and a lot of crappy times, too. Mets have been great, Mets have sucked. It's a vicious cycle. Mostly they give people heart attacks but what are ya gonna do?!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Tuesday Morning Run: 18 minutes 58 seconds+6 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 00 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:3 hours 57 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Running once every 3 days is bad. Definitely NOT good enough.

Twas a fine run and I feel great a little more than an hour afterwards... but I'm just currently quite unhappy with my April frequency thus far. I am adamant about not becoming yet another fat and lazy American so I've gotta increase my number of runs. The times are fine for me -- better than nothing... and I'm always increasing, yeah, slowly increasing, in small increments, but again -- better than nothing!



Running tunes from
the album of the day...


The Angels - Two Minute Warning (1984)The Angels

Two Minute Warning

1984

320 kbps mp3 download





Small Price
Look The Other Way
Underground
Front Page News
Gonna Leave You
Between The Eyes
Babylon
Sticky Little Bitch
Razor's Edge
Run For The Shelter

There's great music. There's okay music. There's tolerable music. There's horrible music. There's "I'd rather commit suicide by stepping in front of a train than listen to that" music. And there's music that's, well, it's interesting. My first experience with The Angels kinda falls into the "Interesting" category. It's also not bad.

Originally from Adelaide, South Australia (before relocating to Sydney,) these guys are called classic Aussie "pub" rock. Okay. Apparently, over much of the past 20+ years, The Angels have been one of Australia's most popular and successful bands... well, no #1 singles but they've had a good following down there. The postal service Down Under even honored them with a stamp within a series related to rock and roll. Hmmm. (The Grateful Dead never got that!)

Two Minute Warning is their 7th overall studio album and actually recorded in Los Angeles. To my ears they sound like a poor man's AC/DC. But what do I know?! One thing's for sure -- almost no one in the United States has any idea whatsoever who this band is!

Reportedly, back in the mid-70's it was at the insistence of AC/DC's Bon Scott that The Angels get a recording contract... or something like that. What American bands to they sound like? I'm not so sure because this type of music isn't what I dig the most... maybe a combination of Ratt and Winger with a smidgen of Aerosmith thrown in. Using those first two, in my opinion, is a total insult but I don't really know what else to say. Putting down The Angels isn't my intention at all... I guess the best way I'd describe this is -- kind of like a less grittier AC/DC.

I'm not so sure I'll ever hunt down anything else from them but ya never know.

MUSIC NOTE Find a dload @ Ausrock MUSIC NOTE

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated