Sunday, December 2, 2007

Running With The Oils

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running on January 1st.  Why January 1st?  Just seems like a day that makes the most sense.  Maybe Christmas.


· Run Time -- 14 minutes 36 seconds (+0:19)

· indoors

· Total Running Time for December --- ______14 min 36 sec
· Total Running Time for November -- 2 hours 18 min 45 sec
______________________October ---_______57 min 06 sec


____(starting Oct. 1)
· Weight Loss Goal -- 24 pounds (11 kg)
__________· So Far -- 9 lb... still havin' a difficult time getting to 10

Hit the gym at the Rec Center, I did. Life often shuts down kinda early on Sunday and I got there at 6:40 this evening, with 20 minutes to spare before they closed. I'm not exactly in the upper levels of training for a marathon... yet... so that was all the time I needed.

Basically it was a really good run. Coming up on three hours that I've had since getting back to just rest and chill and veg and life's not too bad. Feelin' funky, groovy, swell, dandy, and just plain bitchin' gnarley.

Alrighty, I may have missed December 1, but December from now on is off to a good start... but it don't mean jack-squat if I can't keep it going.

4 below tonight (-20° celcius.) Still waitin' for that ten below. Hasn't happened yet, I don't think. Man, this is cold but just wait for when the freeze gets even deeper. Gonna be a long winter. I'm glad I decided to utilize the indoor running track or else I'd hardly get any exercise at all. Way bad. Trudging over there in these temps ain't a walk in the park, but it's so worth it!

Running tunes
from this, the Album of the Day...


Midnight Oil
Midnight Oil

self-titled debut

1978









Powderworks

Head Over Heels
Dust
Used And Abused
Surfing With A Spoon
Run By Night
Nothing Lost, Nothing Gained


In honour of Peter Garrett, lead singer for the currently disbanded Midnight Oil, being named last week as Australia's Minister for Environment, Heritage and Arts, I decided to go today with this great bands very first album. Actually... it's just coincidence. I had picked this over a week ago in planning out my next couple of runs. Today, about a week after Garrett's appointment, just happened to be when I'd make my run for this album (it's all about run times and picking certain songs that equal the mark I wanna achieve.)

Anyway... I've been a fan of the Oils for quite a long time. But only now am I getting into their oldest material. The band had been together for a few years prior to recording this album in the year (1977) before its release. In a time of punk rock in the U.S. and England, this ventures near that territory but not headfirst into it. Often at times it has more a Led Zeppelin feel, sounding almost nothing like how millions of fans would come to know them years later with their Diesel and Dust album in 1987. The use of guitar, even a couple layers deep at times, is pretty heavy throughout. While they stay near a punk sound, you can also hear how they'll evolve into an "alternative" or modern rock band down the line. It's a short collection of tunes but for my money, each as cool as the next.

To see these guys in some pub by the beach, back in their early days, pretty much before they ever played a single show off the continent, that woulda been somethin'. Wrong time, wrong place; g
ot to see 'em later on, in the '90's... but no early Oils. Oh well. Great albums, though! Too bad they're not still a band. I mean, give that up to become a politician? Mr. Garrett, what the hell? Wishin' you luck, big guy, nonetheless... but I do hope Midnight Oil comes back to life again someday. Maybe in the next election the Good Guys will win and you'll decide to hang it up, pick up a guitar, play some music again! If not then clean up Australia well! Cheers.

320 kbps dload Right Here
Midnight Oil - 1979 debut

Midnight Oil rear

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know where your 9 pounds went... I got them. I had lost 11 pounds from Jan to Oct... and then gained all 11 back from Oct to Dec. Sigh... I am very impressed at how well you are doing. Keep it up!!!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated