Monday, April 16, 2007

news break

Had to turn off the tv and get OUTSIDE. All this news is a huge part of why people become desensitized to the worst shooting in American history. So I had to take a break from it and I went on a relatively short hike...

Time on the trail:
1 hour 38 minutes

tunes...

The Terminal (2004)
Music Composed & Conducted by
John Williams

&


Grateful Dead ~ 12-20-68
Shrine Auditorium
Los Angeles


The Eleven,
Mountains of the Moon,

Turn On Your Lovelight

+

Jerry Garcia & Merl Saunders ~ 7-11-73
One Kind Favor (from Keystone Encores)

Movie score classical... is there any better classical music? Many, many, many would say yes but I just don't have time for classical music but I love movies and every now and then some John Williams just hits the spot. It would probably drive me nuts to try to run to it but for hiking it's good thinkin' music... I don't especially concentrate on the composition or the instrumentation, it's really just nice background music allowing me to think about this, that, and whatever.

Followed up The Terminal with a little GD and oh how sweet that was!! Actually it's a bad recording, a lot of hiss for what one would want from a digital format but better that little piece of hissy show than nothing exisiting at all!

The Eleven fades in and is followed by a nice Mountains. Except for the aforementioned hiss, just a really good couple o' songs. Lovelight took me near the end of my hike and I had an epiphany or two along the way. Should I start a charitable foundation, I've got the name now, the perfect name to accompany charitable giving! And listening with headphones (earbuds) to a Pigpen Lovelight is just an awesome way to end a hike at sunset. This one from 12-20-68 wasn't the wildest but it wasn't bad at all. Two or three times I just had to stop hiking and dance along for awhile. To just keep walking would have done the Dead a great injustice; that ain't just listenin' music, that's dancin' music!!! (Bobby, at the start of the song, even urges the crowd, "You might wanna get up and dance now.") Ahhhh.... what an intense way to wind up a hike. Along the Applachian Trail I'm gonna plan to listen to a lot of Pigpen Lovelight-ending shows as I'm coming into a campsite or a shelter for the evening. So sweet! Unfortunately all the dancin' will make the body a lot sweatier and when the day hasn't been too hot, that dancin'll add up to the need to wash up a little more than you would have to at the end of the day on the trail... but oh how it'll be worth it!

I can understand no music when there's a chance you might bump into a grizzly (basically anywhere in Alaska!) I can understand no music when the scenery is especially breathtaking. But when a trail is just a trail and nothing particularly great about it except for the fact that it's a trail, there ain't nothin' better than some Dead in the ears to enjoy along the way!!!

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated