Sunday, June 21, 2009

(Coulda Been a) Death Run

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!  P.S. DEATH TO IRAN!!!!!!!!!!!
Sunday Afternoon Run: 10 minutes 3 seconds
-a lot
.
4:10 p.m. 96° / 99° Heat Index kinda cloudy
4+ Days Since My Last Run
Wow, I feel great! I've kinda sorta given up on having a better month than last month... but I'm still gonna run, of course, and in fact I'm gonna push myself with some runs in the wicked heat. And there's still an outside chance I can make June better than May but I've got to overcome a mental roadblock -- I feel like I shouldn't on back-to-back days. That's exactly what I'll need to do in order to achieve my June goal. We'll see.

In any case, I hit the trail today when the temp was absolutely searing. Well, it actually coulda been worse, like yesterday. Yesterday was a few degrees hotter but 96 with a 99 Heat Index is still kinda nuts. (Ideally I'd like 100+ but that's my craziness showing.)

My run of only 10 minutes seems weak but once again -- it was freakin' hot out there. No way I was gonna go more than that. No got dang way. It's a 12 to 15 minute walk to the trail and by the time I got there I was drenched in sweat. I didn't want to stretch as sweat was constantly screwing up my vision through my sunglasses. On top of the heat, I'd have that to deal with. At some point the bandanna on my head had reached its limit of stopping the sweat from running down onto my face. Ay caramba. My ice water was a slice of heaven when I finished my run, as was the practically cold shower when I returned to the house.

Overall, I think the run in such heat went well. No cramps, no massive exhaustion afterward... except a few minutes from getting back when I had already run out of water and three or four minutes of walking made me completely miserable. Now that I'm relaxing I'm feeling happy that I chose to do this run..... but now I wish I'd done it yesterday when it was 5 degrees hotter!!!
6 runs in June :: 2:10:20 sec· X
10 runs in MAY:
4 hours 9 min
8 runs in April:
3 hours 29 min
6 runs in March:
2 hours 28 min
*** FEBRUARY ***
3 hours 41 min
January 2009
2 hours 54 min
December
2 hours 42 min
November:2 hours 31 min
October 2008:2 hours 10 min

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated