Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sweet Show, Sucky Sound

Not every show has a Soundboard download, like yesterday.

And unfortunately, not every show is good sound quality.

Why put them up then? Why the heck not? They're shows, aren't they?


Grateful Dead terrapin~MNS-2009-Volume-010

Grateful Dead -- April 25, 1977
Capitol Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey

SBD mp3 320 kbps download
1st Set: Minglewood Blues, Deal, Mama Tried, They Love Each Other,
Looks Like Rain, Peggy-O, Lazy Lightning-> Supplication, Ship Of Fools,
Estimated Prophet, Brown-Eyed Women, The Music Never Stopped


Set 2: Scarlet Begonias-> Fire On The Mountain, Samson & Delilah,
Terrapin Station/, /Playing In The Band-> Drums-> Wharf Rat->
Playing In The Band


Encore: U.S. Blues

The sound quality of this show is not great. There's a lot more from '77 that's easier to listen to. By putting this up now, it means there's more that's better still to come. While some would disagree with this method of doing things, I feel that if I put up only the best stuff, that would leave not much to look forward to. Ya know what I'm sayin'?

Anyway, the following review was written and published before the Soundboard of this show came into circulation...

transcribed from:

The Deadhead's Taping Compendium Volume II, 1975-1985 [guide to Grateful Dead music]The Deadhead's Taping Compendium, Volume II:
An In-Depth Guide To The
Music of
the Grateful Dead on Tape, 1975-1985
[out of print]

While any of the shows from this era are better known and more easily found, some of the shows that are only circulating as audience tapes are well played and well worth seeking. This night at the Capitol Theatre is also a good example of the how the first set can be the energetic part of the show. The musical train known as the Grateful Dead was charging full steam ahead down the track from the opener. Both "New Minglewood Blues" and "Deal" are played with the fires well stoked, and it is worth noting that "Deal" often benefited from being played in a spot other than first-set closer. They slowed the pace down considerably with "They Love Each Other," "Looks Like Rain," and "Peggy-O," but it'd be an uphill struggle to ask for three prettier songs in a row. Having both "Ship of Fools" and "Estimated Prophet," both of which were relegated too soon to staid second-set slots, in set 1 built the energy back up to that "The Music Never Stopped" is played at a derailing pace and with an apropos title for this long and well-played set.

The second set opens with the kind of silky "Scarlet Begonias" that has you wiggling to the rhythm and smiling in anticipation of the transition before you are aware of it. The "Fire on the Mountain" that follows bubbles with energy. It is not as long as many others, but it is full of sparkling leads and delivered with punch. The "Terrapin Station," like most of these early versions, builds in intensity as a runaway train until the screaming last chorus and crescendo refrain melt into a "Playing in the Band" that is not so much spacey as bouncy. This energy carries over to a perfect "Wharf Rat" as well. It is one of those versions that is all the song can be. It is defiant, hopeful, and redemptive, as the power of it lifts both the revisited "Playing in the Band" and the breakneck "U.S. Blues" encore.

ANDY LEMIEUX

Grateful Dead ticket - 4/25/77 Capitol Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey
4-25-77 aka 04-25-77 aka 4/25/77 aka 04-25-77 aka 77-04-25 Cap Theater
Source: Soundboard>
Master Reel> ???>
DAT> CDR> SHN

Audio Quality:
4/25/77 Passaic
@ the Internet Archive:

an AUD for downloading
and the SBD for Listening Only
Grateful Dead backstage pass - 4/25/77 Capitol Theatre, Passaic, New Jersey

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks yet again Zoooma for another "off the beaten path" show. I personally like shows like this for that reason; I don't know them and have not been exposed to what the show has to offer. For me, I can at least partially replace that void I miss not going to shows by listening to shows like this that I am not at all familiar with. Now, in order to enjoy it, I'll kindly ask that you provide me (us?) with the unrar password so we can fire this baby up! Thanks Zoooma! Adam

Zoooma said...

Hey Now Adam! Good to hear from ya. Be warned again -- this isn't great quality by any means... but it is still enjoyable for those who don't require pristine sound all the time. (The end of Wharf Rat makes it worth every second!!!!)

Sorry about the lack of password. I forgot that I added one. Why did I in the first place? Eh... not sure really, partly out of frustration from the lack of comments. But even though many remain silently ungrateful for the downloads provided here, tis still fun to spread the tunes around to those who dig leaving a comment now and again. I don't expect one every time... but for some people who I know download often, even once would be nice!!

Anyway, good to hear from ya!

(And if you're ever lookin' for anything specific within the GD-family, feel free to drop me an email and I'll see what I can do!)

PW: if-u-download-leave-a-comment

(let me know if it doesn't work; i think it should)

Anonymous said...

Hi Zoooma!
I tried this password, then I even copied and pasted it into my unrar program with no success in unraring the archive. BUMMER! If you have any other ideas, please let me know. Thanks, Adam

Zoooma said...

Adam!

Sugarmag and I each tested it and...

if-u-download-leave-a-comment

...should work just fine. In the event you don't get it to work, just let me know once again, hang loose and give me a few days and I'll re-up it without the password. Sorry about this but I'll be happy to make sure you're able to get the show. And no more passwords in the future!!

Chris

Anonymous said...

Heya Zoooma!
Well, it seems either I'm not capable of working set one (set two is not password protected, FYI), or the password just won't work for me. I appreciate you checking on it for me, it was very nice of you. I'll patiently wait for the reupload. If you can somehow announce it, that would be great. Thanks again! Adam

Sugarmag said...

Hi Adam, I'll take care of reposting it but it may take me a day or so. I just started grad school and it is challenging and takes a lot of time. I'll see what I can do about those other shows you asked about, too. Take care!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated