Monday, February 23, 2009

Born Right Brained In A Left Brained World

I am utterly confused and my head hurts. I started graduate school and one of my classes is a computer programming class that meets online and this evening we talked about binary numbers. I do not understand binary. Not at all. Part of me just looks at it and starts to panic. My brain does NOT want to work that way and I am not sure I can make it. Seriously. I can not do it. I thought I was doing ok in this class but now I am not. This is not what I bargained for.

I am a library student. When I talked to my advisor she told me to take this class, she said, "You'll learn Python and it will make you so employable, it'll be great." I am getting the Python but this binary stuff is killing me. How does it fit in to the other material for the course? Fuck if I know. Maybe if I understood it I could tell you. My class is meeting in groups and the other two people in the group are discussing adding and subtracting in binary and I have no freakin' clue what they are talking about. What makes it really suck is that during the break to meet in groups the instructor is playing Phil and Friends. That's right. Phil and Friends. How the fuck am I supposed to learn this thing that hurts my head when I just want to get up and dance to Loose Lucy? Ouch. I would turn it off but I need to listen for when the instructor starts talking again.

Lately I've had this song that I like a lot by Carrie Newcomer stuck in my head. Wanna hear it? Just click...


"Right Brain Born (in a Left Brain World") by Carrie Newcomer

I love Carrie Newcomer. If my life had a soundtrack it would be mostly Grateful Dead, Jammin' Jerome, and Carrie Newcomer. Her music makes me smile and sometimes it touches my soul.

Ok. This is the part where I take a deep breath, talk to Zoooma on the phone for a little while, get a good night's sleep, and wake up in the morning ready to understand binary. I will do it because I have to. The truth is that I'm not that smart but I am pretty good a faking it. If you can read the binary clock up there at the top, you are smarter than me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know if it will help, but think of binary as chained boolean. You know, and or unless there's more then it's and or again.

Trying to ease into the library side but I don't know if its a good example. good luck. It'll pass, you'll pass and you'll wonder when you'll ever need it till the little wheel turns and someone asks you.

May you remember better than I.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated