Monday, February 23, 2009

I'd be Zoooma Wilbury

Hoo bingo! New day. New week.

Some of y'all be lookin' for a GD (or Garcia) show, eh? Maybe one this Monday evening. Hopefully there'll be a few shows this week including a '77 request. More requests to follow eventually -- Greek & Blossom '85, some '89, plus whatever else. So many shows, so little time.

TIE-DYE SEPARATOR BAR
The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Liberia, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Monday Early Morning Run: 25 min 12 sec
+11 seconds
.
Days Since My Last Run:
.
7:45 am - 31
° - as the sun was coming up on a cloudless day

Holy crap, cold run. I've not been used to running in such cold. I knew it was gonna be freezing this morning and since I didn't run as planned yesterday, I wanted to try it out, wanted to let the chill of the morning air invigorate me and damn, holy crap, it did! On my 10 or 12 minute walk to the trail that I use for running, I was a-freezin' my arse off! Twas 31 when I left but as the sun rose a little ways above the horizon and eventually above the treetops, it slowly slowly slowly edged all the way up to 37 when I returned 45 minutes later. The trail had frost on the it, along the sides where more green grass and weeds are. The stream alongside the trail had thin ice on it here and there. Okay, now, I mention that 'cause for the Lowcountry of South Carolina, that's not often seen -- ice on water outside. Very cool (no pun intended) to be out there in these conditions.

Unfortunately I didn't have enough sleep and I was half dreading this run... not 'cause of the cold but because I was feelin' tired. It's good to be more awake for running. The cold really helped me along through that feeling. I had no thoughts of quitting from running fatigue or any physical ailment of any kind, but part of me, at times, wanted to lay down and sleep on the trail. Not good. But I got through it. When I knew I was on my last song in my Running Play List, I almost wanted to keep going. Had I really really really been forced to run for 26 or 27 or 28 minutes, I probably could've... which makes me wonder why I limit myself so much. Ugh, eh, whatever. At least I'm exercising!

But now I'm dead tired. Only one more run to eclipse January and then I'll see about hitting the four hour mark. We shall see.

X ·Feb :: +19 sec· X
Feb - 7 runs:
2 hours 50 min
JANUARY 2009
2 hours 54 min
December '08
2 hours 42 min
November:2 hours 31 min
October:2 hours 10 min
**SEPTEMBER**3 Hours 25 min

TIE-DYE SEPARATOR BAR
PHONOGRAPH

Monday's Running Playlist
included most of this album...
Traveling Wilburys Volume 1 COVER
Traveling Wilburys

Volume 1

1988
Handle With Care
Dirty World
Rattled
Last Night
Not Alone Any More
Congratulations
Heading For The Light
Margarita
Tweeter And The Monkey Man
End Of The Line
What a really good album. Until recently, I had not heard this whole thing. Four songs -- Handle With Care, Last Night, Tweeter And the Monkey Man, End Of The Line -- were somewhat to very familiar to me due to, I'm guessing, my hearing them all on WNEW (the greatest rock 'n' roll radio station ever... at one time) back when I lived near New York City. The record was released in '88 so I'm sure those particular songs were all over the airwaves especially in Summer of '89 when I was doin' a ton of radio listenin'. I'm also sure, well, I'd be bettin' money on it, that they were in regular rotation through Summer '90, as well, also when I was doin' a lot of radio listenin'... and when WNEW was still goin' pretty strong.

One song, though, I'm not actually sure I heard on the radio back then... but it's somehow familiar to me. Or maybe it's not really familiar to me and I'm just hallucinating this. I'm not sure now. Tweeter And The Monkey Man is the one and it's gotta be my favorite song on the album. Bob Dylan has got the lead vocals here and the story takes place in New Jersey so I think, since I'm from Jersey, I'm obligated to like it best. Numerous Springsteen song references help. End Of The Line, with Tom Petty handling about half the vocals, is another that gained popularity. I'm not a big fan of Jeff Lynne of Electric Light Orchestra or Roy Orbison so if this band didn't have Dylan or Petty, I'd probably not dig them too much. All of Dylan's songs (the ones he has some or all of the lead vocals on) are my favorites. Then there's also on here some guy named George Harrison who was in some band called The Beatles... or something like that? Named after the Volkswagen, I guess.

Anyway, purty cool band and most every song on here is purty cool, as well. I definitely dug this and will be sure to give it other listens in the future.


320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE find a download @
Jolly Joker 320 kbps mp3 download MUSIC NOTE
320 mp3 download

"End Of The Line" music video



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a GREAT l.p./cd ,you should try to find the out-takes for this and to vol.3 out-standingg stuff,
it's worth tracking down!
the guy from INDY,IN.

Anonymous said...

Zooma! You're a runner! In God's country no less! I live in Ohio and I've been running trails in six to twelve inches of snow with a temperature of about 15 or 20 degrees.

It's not always like that, but when it is it is magical. I don't need music on the trails because the silence is deafening. My trail runs average about 10 miles a day.

Wonderful stuff!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated