Sunday, March 9, 2008

Running with Madman drummers bummers and Indians in the [late winter] with a teenage diplomat...

There's something completely wrong here. I've seemingly lost an entire week? What the heck?! I'd say "What the hell" but the swearing's been cranked way too high lately. In tryin' to always be a better Christian, there's no damn place for swearing.

Anyway... last time I went for a run: almost a freakin' week ago?! Seriously?! So there it is -- I've lost an entire week. Just like that [in the snap of the fingers.] Great, I must say totally sarcastically. I wonder if Jesus frowns upon sarcasm. I've never thought of that. And right now I'm not worried about it too much. I suppose so long as it's not in a putting down kind of way. Hey, He'd probably use sarcasm today as a way to get His point across to certain people. Maybe? Why'm I typing so much about Christ all of a sudden? Yes, I should really devote more time to study God's word and the life of Christ, have strayed quite a ways from that in the past many months ... but that's not why I'm posting this post, yo. I'll save that for later. Yes, save it for later, always the right thing to... procrastinate!

Okay ... now I'm done with that.

Got my butt to the Rec Center tonight before they closed. Was really lookin' forward to gettin' a run in ... but twasn't until just a few minutes ago when I realized it's been half a day shy of one whole week since I last ran. NOT good. Absolutely positively way not good.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh probably never went running in Bolivia.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Sunday Night Run: 17 minutes 56 seconds+7 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 29 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:-53 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

For not having been in my running shoes for almost a week, I didn't do too badly tonight. Hydrated and fueled, not tired, added 7 seconds, almost up to 18 minutes, so close. Had to stop as soon as I hit my End Cue ... actually, I probably didn't have to stop, but I did, few seconds worth of stoppage time, bent over, hands on knees, gasping for normalcy. Even though I did that, still wasn't bad. Resumed moving within 2 to 3 seconds, walked a couple laps around the track, started feeling great within moments.

Back in the comfort of my house, showered, clean, resting... and feeling probably better than I have since my last run. To take 6½ days off was just idiotic and completely wrong. Can NOT allow that to happen!!! Must run!!! (with regularity.)


Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park (1973)Bruce Springsteen

Greetings From
Asbury Park, N.J.


recorded: 1972
released: Jan '73







· Blinded By The Light
· Growin' Up
· Mary Queen Of Arkansas
· Does This Bus Stop At 82nd Street?
· Lost In The Flood
· The Angel
· For You
· Spirit In The Night
· It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City

There are no words from me for this album. It's perfection. Okay, so maybe I've got a few words. All of a sudden I'm wondering if there are Springsteen fans, casual fans, who like his music but don't care for his older stuff. Perhaps a few people like that? In my opinion this blows the crap out of Magic, Bruce's 2007 release with the E Street Band. That's it. I'm done. This is just one of the best rock and roll albums ever. Period. End of discussion. My roots are in Jersey and I dunno if that entitles me to have more importance than non-Jersey Springsteen fans... seems completely silly to think such a thing, but truly when I'm listening to some Bruce, I'm damn proud to have grown up in The Garden State. So many of the lyrics have got nothin' to even do with Jersey... but when I hit the Play button, right back there is the only place I wanna be. Maybe someday. This'll sounds absolutely insane to a lot of people but I actually miss the place! Even more so when I'm listening to Springsteen. Mmm... such good stuff!

Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park (1973) - the CD320 kbps
Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
Bruce Springsteen - Greetings From Asbury Park (1973) - back cover

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This album sat on my turntable throughout my youth. I always thought Bruce was a local act until I went away to school and realized folks from other areas knew him too. Go figure.

This is one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

Chris,

I was checking my blog traffic (statistics) this morning and a Google using the word, "soundboards" led me here.

I am, Wayward Bill! I run the blog called, Deadheads United. Feel free to stop anytime and check me out. Be sure to sign my guestbook and let me know that you passed by.

Really nice site you have here, I love simplicity.

Peace, Love, Hippie Stuff,

Wayward Bill

Oceanshaman said...

this album touches me deep . . .

Spirit in the Night, especially . . .

Anonymous said...

Great blog! Thanks for putting up the Asbury Park album. Been looking for this one awhile.

Also appreciate the conservative slant to your writing!

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated