Friday, March 28, 2008

Cougar Run

What an amazingly gorgeous day this was. Funny thing, though -- lookin' out the window it was a bright, sunshiny day ... and the ground's all covered in white (since mid-October) ... but it's Spring so maybe it's a bit warm? HAA!!!

Temperature today hit a whopping 25° (about -4° C.)

I thought about running outside. Should have. It's not that bad for 20 minute runs. Much longer and you're risking frostbite and/or hypothermia. Not good ... so I opted for the Rec Center at the University (yet again.)

Finally might get above Freezing this weekend (for the first time in about two weeks.)
Had a nice light snowfall the past couple mornings and part of me wants that to keep happening ... but sheesh, man, come on now, how about Springtime already!

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!

Friday Night Run: 18 minutes 38 seconds+3 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 31 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:3 hours 38 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Added a whole 3 seconds. Yippie-Ki-Ay. Better than nothing!

A revelation -- even with temps about okay for outdoor running, since I'm a Trail Runner, the trail's gonna be too sloppy for quite awhile. We'll see. Looks like it might be indoors for much longer than I was hoping. Yay, I say sarcastically. But once again -- better than not running at all!!

Felt good on the track tonight. Kinda feels like it's consistently getting a wee bit easier for me. Just wish it was getting easier as I increased my times by a lot more. Ah well.

At least I'm getting this exercise in!

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


John Cougar self-titled (1979)John Cougar

(self-titled)

1979

[2005 re-issue]




A Little Night Dancin'
Small Paradise
Miami
Great Mid-west
Do You Think That's Fair
I Need A Lover
Welcome To Chinatown
Sugar Marie
Pray For Me
Taxi Dancer
Take Home Pay

Holy Indiana cornfields, Johnny Cougar ... it's been a long time since I've listened to Mellencamp. I can almost remember first hearing him a long time ago back on WPLJ and WNEW in the NYC area. The saying "those were the days" comes to mind.

This here's Johnny's 4th album?! And he even had another before 1982's American Fool? With the hit songs (and videos on MTV for) Hurts So Good and Jack and Diane, that was the LP that really introduced him to American audiences on a wider scale.

But there was that one song -- I Need A Lover -- which had radio play. I guess I just never knew where it came from. It's on this album and was even also on the album before this one. It was a #1 hit in Australia before it became famous in America. Man, Cougar almost became a David Hasselhoff -- next to no (musical) success in America while hitting the big time overseas somewhere. But nope, whew, escaped that tragedy. This guy from Seymour, Indiana finally arrived.

This album (and a bunch of others) came first. Must've been somewhat of a frustrating struggle not finding an American audience. There are some decent songs here -- right off the top A Little Night Dancin' is a great Mellencamp song. It's really a mixed bag, I guess: eh (Pray For Me, Taxi Dancer) -- cheesy (Miami) -- schmaltzy (Great Mid-west) -- fun and not bad (Sugar Marie, Welcome to Chinatown) -- and pretty good (Night Dancin', I Need A Lover.)

See a mixed bag... well, according to me. Not a bad listen, not bad to even put on Shuffle and Repeat for awhile and just let 'er play while puttin' up this post and surfin' the web a little ... surfin' the web? I can't believe I just typed that. Well, I have been and this album's played about 4 times through in awhile now and it seems to keep getting more likeable as the songs go by. Good stuff, glad I listened to it.

MUSIC NOTE Find a dload @ Infinite Foolishness MUSIC NOTE

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris,
Saw that you were by to see if I had the Haight Street freebie on my space. It was bigger than my music host would allow. I thought maybe just because it was a zip file it might make it through my 30mb download limit. Oh well!
Thanks for stopping by and as Eileen Law would say, "Stay In Touch!"
Peace, Love, Hippie Stuff,
Wayward Bill

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated