Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Night Icecream Run

Easter Sunday, Christ rose, big day for Christians... and for kids out on Easter egg hunts. A few of those I vaguely remember taking part in when I was a kid. The day was always about fake green grass in some basket with a handle, filled with jelly beans, other misc items of candy and a chocolate bunny as the centerpiece. That was Easter. My mom and dad always made sure, when I was a kid, to do it up right ... as far as all that sugary goodness was concerned. And then we'd usually head down to a friend's house in Randolph, New Jersey or Kinnelon, one or the other. I remember playing ping pong in the basement. A day to get dressed up, somewhat, and... and what? What was the point in getting dressed up? There wasn't any. Amazing days in a Godless age. I certainly wouldn't have raised my daughter like that, without God like I was raised. That absolutely wouldn't have been allowed in that family. But life didn't go in that direction anyway -- too many years since Emma and her mom left my life. She was just 5½ and then they were gone. That's not something I ever talk about, with anyone, even in type on the internet. Period. But I just mentioned it. I'm internally massively scratching my head wondering why and what's up yet at the same I'm just gonna move forward and think -- whatever.

Life is hell sometimes. Sometimes it just can't be explained.

This Easter Sunday, like every holiday now, has very little meaning to me. Of course there's the rising of Christ to celebrate ... but ya know, like Christmas, that can (and should) be celebrated everyday. Today I celebrated Guinness after snowmobiling with my friends Michael and Ann from work. Perhaps in hoisting pints earlier I was really celebrating not freezing to death tonight. Trails in the Tanana Flats go on forever and there are no signs saying "This way to Fairbanks -» 12 miles." Pretty wild place in winter, pure wilderness, white, and seemingly forever it stretches... and hmmm, it's not technically winter anymore but a high temperature here today of about 24 (about -5 C) would fool anyone. Maybe much colder in the flats with the elevation dropping down slightly lower than here in Fairbanks. Not deathly cold but stranded overnight -- deathly cold. That's the last time I ever venture there without GPS even when friends say they know the flats like the back of their hand. Yeah, sure ya do. That's why 187 times we were stopped wondering which way back?!?! Most definitely unprepared for a night in the wild we were had we gotten lost but it would've been alright ... well, except for the no food part. Maybe that's why my Easter dinner was a big, fat cheeseburger, fries AND onion rings. Dee-lish! The Guinness to top it off was icing on the cake.

Actually what truly topped it off was my run. How on Earth I was able to make it around the track on such a full stomach, I do not know. But I got my butt to the gym a little while ago before they closed and got my almost 18½ minutes in.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Sunday Night Run: 18 minutes 28 seconds+4 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 18 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:3 hours 1 minute
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Sweeeet ... one more (successful) run this month and I will have eclipsed my time for February. Shouldn't be a problem. And my run wasn't much of a problem either. I may have had a little extra adrenaline still running through me after facing being stranded in the wilderness overnight. Seemed to just fly around the track, effortlessly, until the end... needed a brief moment to catch my breath but all was fine and dandy again in no time. Kind of surprised it went so well considering I don't normally wolf down such a huge meal and a couple pints of Guinness not too long before starting a run. But it went down just fine, thankfully. Lookin' forward to my next run! Lookin forward to 20 minutes! On the horizon!

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Ice Cream Hands - The Good China (2007)Icecream Hands

The Good China

2007







Come Along
In The Back Seat Of A Stolen Car
Holding On
Say That You Want Me
Anyway
Launceston
Everything You Are
Weak At The Knees
What I Want For You
Waiting Beneath You
My Mother Was A Dancer

Icecream Hands is one of those bands that this new digital age of music with the internet so incredibly involved is allowing me to hear. It was a fluke that I even found out about them. Apparently before this album, they'd taken a few years off but they've been one of Australia's most successful power pop bands of late. Hmmm, that's interesting 'cause here in the United States, I've never heard of them. Like the fact or hate it, the United States is perhaps the most important place on Earth but very little North American success I guess happens in the music world.

In any case, interesting stuff. Not really sure what to compare it to. I already listen to a lot of music but not enough to be able to make the right comparisons. Maybe some Wallflowers, Gin Blossoms, Oasis, Beatles, something like that and I'm sure a dozen other bands, as well. Nothing fast and purely rockin, but not lame fluff either... a nice adult alternative sound for when you don't want Pearl Jam or Nirvana but aren't in the mood for James Taylor, either. Yeah, that's about right.

Well, whatever, some good music from these guys from Melbourne, Down Under.

1 comment:

Sugarmag said...

Hey Zoooma, I just stumbled upon this post, it breaks my heart. I can only hope that better days are ahead and you will have someone who loves you to celebrate holidays with.

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated