Wednesday, March 12, 2008

An Angelic Run ... sort of

What exactly is the ideal weather for me in mid-March? Spring's like a week away. Surprised in the least I would be if we have one more brief cold spell where the temp dips below 0 (-18° C) ... but for the most part, the really cold stuff is gone.

The cold stuff is still here, though. 25 (about -4° C) I think we got all the way up to today! Not bad compared to the 4 (-16) it was when I woke up.

Drove to the gym just over an hour ago in the snow. Probably won't accumulate much but it's cool to have it comin' down. Amazing the massive storms they get through portions of the Lower 48 ... we don't really get those here. There's snow completely covering the ground from October until April and we have many, many days where there's snow falling, but no huge storms. Instead we get -40 degrees and a week straight where the high temp is maybe -10.

Now March, almost mid-March, coming up on Spring. Sure, we've had 40 degree days (around 5 C) ... I've even worn shorts outside, no big whoop with a nice sweatshirt or light fleece jacket. But it ain't quite lookin' like beach weather is anywhere on the horizon. Not yet. Nope. And not there's even a beach here to go to in central Alaska... haaa!

The question that's popping into my head these past few days -- Do I Stay or Do I Go? Am I gonna remain an Alaskan?

Part of me will always be Alaskan no matter if I'm back in north Jersey, livin' on the Jersey Shore, up in New Hampshire or maybe western Montana again. I love this place. Fit in I mostly do, in my own way. Got great friends, some great co-workers, plus like 50% or more of the population I've had some interaction with because of my work in the community.

But I'm gonna stop there because I thought of typin' about moving actually not outside of Alaska but to a smaller village OFF the road-system somewhere. That would be 1,000 words alone and already I've meandered and rambled more than I had planned.

In any case -- it's lightly snowing, it's below freezing, it's most definitely not quite ready for daisies and new grass seed.

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Wednesday Night Run: 18 minutes 6 seconds+3 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 38 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:1 hour29 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

Sometimes music can really help a run be better and tonight that definitely was the case. My mind was so able to focus on the tunes without those crappy thoughts of how horrible running is. Cruised around the stoopid, monotonous indoor track yet again, achieving my time, only adding 3 seconds but twas a good run because I succeeded without any major difficulty. Hey, even with difficulty, so long as I finish, that's still a good run. Yeah, even when it's just downright horrible, because after I drive back to my house, get cleaned up, sit and relax, I'll be feelin' so good just as I am now!

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Echoing Angels - You Alone (2007)Echoing Angels

You Alone

2007





I Will
You Alone
Let Go
Rise Up
Coming Back To Life
Living Inside Of Me
Hallelujah
Make It Better
Free
Move Me

Wow, Christian Music Today doesn't think too highly of this album. Sounds like Third Day, Building 429, Casting Crows and MercyMe. Nothing very original. Well, interestingly, the song You Alone climbed the Christian music chart ... maybe getting to #1? Maybe at least into the Top 3? HA! Showed them! Actually, I don't know the exact path of the success of the song ... but people liked it! What does that say to the person who wrote a non-flattering review? Is the reviewer right? Are the people foolish? I've gotta think if the people like it then it's considered darn worthy of praise. Huh?

Anyway, while maybe Echoing Angels doesn't have their own perfectly unique sound, in my opinion they help add to the stockpile of decent Christian music out there. I mean, when you consider how much decent music there isn't, well, it's kinda sad and one can get bored rather easily and rather quickly with only a certain number of bands who don't necessarily have a huge catalog of music. For me, to have this album to run to, a blessing. Love the music here. Not direct praise and worship as some Christian artists focus on, more lyrically ambiguous in their message. They're kinda loud, they rock on certain songs, yet those who aren't wanting to be pounded by praise for Christ song after song can dig what's here because Echoing Angels doesn't do that here, for the most part. A very good thing in Christian music.

MUSIC NOTE 128 kbps dload @ Música Cristã MP3 MUSIC NOTE

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated