Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Running to The Enz

A few days away from Spring, it's a bright sun shiny day... with a temperature of 11° (-12 C.) Flowers popping up? Not quite. But the activity at the University was bustling even with the wicked cold weather -- first day back after Spring Break. For some warmer weather, where do students in Fairbanks go for Spring Break? Minnesota?

The North Face trail running shoe -- good for use in the Appalachian Mountains ... but seriously, they are rather small compared to the Rocky Mountains ... Sierra Nevada are sweet, too.  Would definitely use 'em in the Alps, that's for sure.  One thing's for sure -- Jerry Garcia or Bob Weir or Phil Lesh or Blaise Compaoré probably never went running in Colombia, Paraguay, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Côte d'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Ouagadougou, Pyongyang, 평양 직할시 조선민주주의인민공화국 平壤直轄市 朝鮮民主主義人民共和國, Türkmenistan, Kyrgyzstan, Кыргызстан, Киргизия, Uzbekistan, O'zbekiston, Ўзбекистон Республикаси, Tajikistan, Тоҷикистон.  Probably the same with Brent Mydland.  At least that's my gut feeling.  I could be wrong.  I mean, there were a lot of drugs at Grateful Dead shows and the good Lord above, He knows I did my share!
Tuesday Noon Run: 18 minutes 20 seconds+3 sec
· indoors ·
XXXXXXXX+++++++ 26 sec +++++++XXXXXXXX
Run Time March:2 hours 24 minutes
February:3 hours11 minutes
January:2 hours56 minutes

The long slow climb from 18 to 19 minutes is clearly underway. I don't know why I just don't make each increase greater. Perhaps it has to do with music? The smaller the increments, the more albums I get to check out. Right? Maybe that equation doesn't compute properly. More than likely I'd still run the same amount of time. Hmmm....

In any case, only added 3 seconds this afternoon but it was a good run that I'm happy with. Rec Center at the University was amazingly uncrowded. Absolutely no clue when the weather'll be good enough for running outdoors again so I remain on the indoor track for the time being.

Running tunes from
the album of the day...


Split Enz - Mental Notes (1975) with Tim Finn and Phil Judd but not Neil Finn, not yet.  Recorded in Australia rather than Auckland where they're originally from.Split Enz

Mental Notes

1975 debut






Walking Down A Road
Under The Wheel
Amy (Darling)
So Long For Now
Stranger Than Fiction
Time For A Change
Maybe
Titus
Spellbound
Mental Notes

Prog rock is a long way from what I prefer listening to. So much of this first album from New Zealand's Split Enz has exactly that feel ... and I haven't been too thrilled the few times I've given this a listen. Reminds me of the horrific experiences of listening to (really) old Genesis. Back during that whole first half decade or so of the existence of MTV, back when they were actually focused on music videos, one of their earliest in regular rotation was for the song I Got You by Split Enz. Aside from that, I've had next to exposure to them but since I've always really liked that song, I knew someday I'd give their albums a shot. Someday finally came and well, I don't like their earliest stuff that much. Doesn't mean I won't push forward eventually with other albums of theirs. One song on here -- the title track, Mental Notes -- I'm guessing is the first track on a (chronologically ordered) Split Enz greatest hits best of collection. Very good tune, could listen to it a thousand times! Contrast that to other songs on here like Stranger Than Fiction and Spellbound and Time For A Change and what a difference there is. Just a world away from the title track as well as I Got You a few years later after Phil Judd was replaced by Tim Finn's brother Neil. That was, I'm guessing, when they really got a lot more famous than the early years.

MUSIC NOTE Find a dload @ Ausrock MUSIC NOTE

No comments:

one says one number and the other another
but they were set at the same time. Hmmm...

i love you amy uzarski.  always!
 
Calvin and Hobbes in the snow -- animated